Electric Splitter ,With A Fan For The Operator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
Well, with no wind at all outside, I decided to make my own ;lol
OK, have U ever seen this before ;?
All comments welcome ==c
Hay, It Works :)

Attachments

• IMG_20130715_103940.jpg
    IMG_20130715_103940.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 270
How big of an extension cord do you use for the fan? :)

Is there a noticeable loss in power from using too small/long of a cord? ==c

Did you have to upgrade your electrical service to handle the increased load? :oops:

Does the split wood dry faster if you have a fan blowing on it right from the start? ;?

Do you have to prop one end of the fan up a bit so that it makes a full sweep? o_O

Or actually, maybe the fan would work better if you stood it up vertically? ;hm

Betcha a gas powered fan would get more wood split. I recommend at least 60cc's. ::-)

:p;lol;)

Well, with no wind at all outside, I decided to make my own ;lol
OK, have U ever seen this before ;?
All comments welcome ==c
Hay, It Works :)
To hell with the fan, get that cooler in the top left corner closer to your splitting area!

To hell with the fan, get that cooler in the top left corner closer to your splitting area!

Maybe set the fan on top of the ice ice baby!

Reactions: HDRock and zap
Position the fan so that it blows dirt/dust away from the operator, not directly into his/her face. :p

Reactions: HDRock
How big of an extension cord do you use for the fan? :)

Is there a noticeable loss in power from using too small/long of a cord? ==c

Did you have to upgrade your electrical service to handle the increased load? :oops:

Does the split wood dry faster if you have a fan blowing on it right from the start? ;?

Do you have to prop one end of the fan up a bit so that it makes a full sweep? o_O

Or actually, maybe the fan would work better if you stood it up vertically? ;hm

Betcha a gas powered fan would get more wood split. I recommend at least 60cc's. ::-)

:p;lol;)

No noticeable loss in power , 65 ft of 12/3 ,W a 20 amp power strip
Did you have to upgrade your electrical service ;? I rewired it for more power ugg ugg
Does the split wood dry faster if you have a fan blowing on it right from the start? / Oh ya dries during the process ::-)
A gas powered fan would be my best choice , 110 cc's I think ::-)
It did the job ,kept me much more comfortable at the splitter , just the facts sir, nothing but the facts ::-);lol>>:p

Sweeet!!!! This will extend my splitting hours each day! I'm on it, only a BIGGER fan!

This worked better than I thought it would, even with the 12" fan, It makes a big difference , when I stepped away from the splitter and did some stacking, I sweat my butt off :eek:

Great idea!
I think I will install an accessory outlet in my splitter control box.
Then I can use my electric chainsaw to trim the ones that are just a little too long. :)

Good idea but not sure a fan would motivate me
to be splitting & stacking in the temps youns down there are getting.

All I can say it that's "true dedication".

You're nuts, but dedicated. LOL :)

Good idea but not sure a fan would motivate me
to be splitting & stacking in the temps youns down there are getting.

All I can say it that's "true dedication".

You're nuts, but dedicated. LOL :)
I know U polar bears can't take the heat ;)

I does suck but , I just started burning 100% last winter so I need to get ahead
,Next year I shouldn't have to do this
I am working in the shade and, Having the fan blowing on me makes is suck less , so I can do more before that point ,where I cant take it , and have to go take a break in the air cond house.
I didn't do a lot outside today but within an hour my clothes were just soaked
I am kinda use to it, I sweat my butt off for 32 summers in the Buick factory , Inside there It doesn't even cool off at night, It's a hot som beech :eek:

I know U polar bears can't take the heat ;)

I does suck but , I just started burning 100% last winter so I need to get ahead
,Next year I shouldn't have to do this
I am working in the shade and, Having the fan blowing on me makes is suck less , so I can do more before that point ,where I cant take it , and have to go take a break in the air cond house.
I didn't do a lot outside today but within an hour my clothes were just soaked
I am kinda use to it, I sweat my butt off for 32 summers in the Buick factory , Inside there It doesn't even cool off at night, It's a hot som beech :eek:

Yea, When I come back in the summers to PA /WV to visit, I almost melt.
Body has forgot how to sweat being here for 30+ years.

Know the drive you have to get ahead.
I did it last year, 3 cord cut with leaves on the trees in late spring, in the mosquitoes.
Got 6 more in the fall until it snowed & shut the cutting area road down, but was enough
to get ahead. A few scrounges , about 2 cord.
Not all stacked & measured in the shed yet
but should be 3 years of wood so only need to get 6 to 8 this fall to maintain.

With the work you are putting toward the goal,
I have no doubt you'll get there soon.
With all you've been doing, you gotta be getting close ?

In the past I be out at crack of dawn for couple hours of splitting before Mr. Sun started his baking session. I am far enough ahead now days that I can cruise and only work on splitin and stackin when 75 or less out. Preferably with a decent breeze to hold down the blood suckers ( no not the IRS)

I have two reclaimed furnace fans mounted on an axle and rear wheels with handles (think push mower handle). These things really move some air. Volumes. They work great in a shop setting and are mobile enough to go where you need them. Point one of them suckers at ya while splitting and it may just blow the splits into a pile for you.:cool:

How about a small window AC unit ? :)

Hd my inventive friend you need to figure out how to mount that fan on a beer can so you can drink a cold frosty beer with a breeze.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.