Electric thermostat on 12 volt DC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dune

Minister of Fire
Short story; I am using a car radiator and electric fan (12 volt) as an air handler. The heat becomes too much after a time. Can I somehow rig a thermostat to a soleniod to start and stop the fan? Any suggestions as to a particular solenoid? This is not in a building.

Room temp., say 55-70F.

That looks good. Relay is what I meant by solenoid. Can you recomend one of those also?

If you are not using it in a building, where are you using it, and what do you want to measure the temperature of? Air, fluid, or something else?

If it is air temperature, you probably can just use a cheap line voltage thermostat to switch the 12 vdc directly. No need for a solenoid or relay.

Take a look at http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CH4Q8wIwAQ#

These things are normally for switching the power to high current AC resistance heaters. It won't be rated for 12 volt operation, but I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work, unless you are using some sort of monster fan motor. It should be nothing more than a set of heavy duty adjustable temperature sensitive bi-metallic contacts.

I had a house with a similar thermostat switching the fan motor on and off on a hot water radiator in a garage. Worked fine.

Dune said:
That looks good. Relay is what I meant by solenoid. Can you recomend one of those also?

Use one from an automotive application like one for fog lights. Auto supplies should have them. You just need to make sure the amperage rating of the contacts is more than your fan consumes.

WhitePine said:
If you are not using it in a building, where are you using it, and what do you want to measure the temperature of? Air, fluid, or something else?

If it is air temperature, you probably can just use a cheap line voltage thermostat to switch the 12 vdc directly. No need for a solenoid or relay.

Take a look at http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CH4Q8wIwAQ#

These things are normally for switching the power to high current AC resistance heaters. It won't be rated for 12 volt operation, but I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work, unless you are using some sort of monster fan motor. It should be nothing more than a set of heavy duty adjustable temperature sensitive bi-metallic contacts.

I had a house with a similar thermostat switching the fan motor on and off on a hot water radiator in a garage. Worked fine.

This is better yet. You can buy at the big box stores and 22 amps is probably enough to handle your fan. I thought of these but didn't know they went that low on temp.

WhitePine said:

Awesome. It is a workboat. No problem regulating the heat during the day, but after you fall alseep it gets way too hot if you leave it on, and too cold if you leave it off. So that is a thermostat for electric baseboard?

Thanks to both of you for the fast great help. What a place this is!

Dune said:
Awesome. It is a workboat. No problem regulating the heat during the day, but after you fall alseep it gets way too hot if you leave it on, and too cold if you leave it off. So that is a thermostat for electric baseboard?

Yes, it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.