Electric/Thermostat Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
We replaced our old thermostats at work with some programmable stats for electric heat. So now I have a pile of single- and double-pole stats designed for 240-volt electric baseboard heat. I was wondering if the single-pole units could be used to regulate 120-volt devices, such as a circulating pump. Just curious whether I should toss them out or keep them around for future heating system projects.

Thermostat is just a temperature activated switch, so as long as they are rated to handle whatever current you are going to run through them I fail to see why not. And in the case of a baseboard thermostat, I beleive the thermostats are at 110V, vs. the low voltage thermostats for gas/oil.

Thanks Willhound. Actually, these take 240-volt current and they're direct-wired instead of 24 volts running through a relay.

I assumed the same thing about how it's just a switch and if it is built to take 240 volts, it ought to work OK with 120. But you know, even though I'm a marginally better electrician than I am a carpenter, I'm about the world's worst carpenter.

Status
Not open for further replies.