Electric Water Heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougand3

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2008
North Alabama
I have a standard 240v water heater, insulated well, but still quite the energy hog. Has anyone ever tried putting a timer on one? Say, it's on from 4am-8am, then back on from 4pm-8pm. Seems easy to do but I never hear of it - so, maybe not much energy savings? Maybe temp drops so much that raising it back up uses same energy. Anybody try this? (Don't have nat gas in this hood) Thanks, Doug

Their is such a thing. And home depot or lowes will have them. I thought about it an decided not to use one because I have an irregular schedule, and have to have hot water at all different hours. My neighbor has one and he says it saves him about 20 a month, don't know what his timer is set on though.

I was going to do it but after researching it I found that the newer well insulated water heaters don't save you much by putting them on timers. I did a test by manually popping the breaker at pre-determined times for a couple of days and found zilch for savings after comparing meter readings.

Thanks, guys. Quite eye opening. Not worth the effort, fer shure.

I've been planning to put timers on my water heaters for a while. Now I'm reconsidering. I thought there was solid evidence of substantial savings but I'll be darned if I can find any on the internet.

That said, it is pretty well established that if you lower the thermostat temp on your water heater to the lowest level you can stand if will pay off. Off course it doesn't cost anything so it would be hard for it not to pay off.

Semipro said:
I've been planning to put timers on my water heaters for a while. Now I'm reconsidering. I thought there was solid evidence of substantial savings but I'll be darned if I can find any on the internet.

That said, it is pretty well established that if you lower the thermostat temp on your water heater to the lowest level you can stand if will pay off. Off course it doesn't cost anything so it would be hard for it not to pay off.

Note that if you have a dishwasher you may want to not turn it down as much - unless your machine has a reasonably priced water pre-heat setup (some do) A dishwasher needs HOT water to get the best cleaning action and to properly sanitize your dishes.

Gooserider

I had the same concern with my dishwasher and verified that it heats the water up to a preset minimum temperature if the water coming in is too cold. You can tell if you dishwasher can do this by looking inside. Mine has a heating element in the bottom that looks similar to the one in an electric oven.

Status
Not open for further replies.