Electrical Conduit Cleaning Rods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
I have never sweeped my chimney on my own. I have been looking for what kind of rods to purchase, and then I came across this idea. My question is I will be sweeping from the bottom up through the insert, what size conduit do most people use. I was leaning towards 1/2" because i have to make that 90* bend to get up through the top of the stove. The liner is mostly straight, maybe a slight 20* bend on the exit of the stove. However, I almost 30' of liner. Would 1/2" have enough strength to bush all the way up or would 3/4" be better as long as i can get it to make the turn.

Why can you not sweep from the top? Do you think you can do a thorough enough job from the bottom on a flex liner? I have class A pipe so it's smooth on the inside and sweeping it from the top with stiff glass rods takes effort. I cannot imagine doing it from the bottom with a long wet noodle.

Maybe the SootEater would be better suited for bottom up cleaning.

http://www.sooteater.com/

I wish I could. The chimney is about 7 ft taller than the roof and the roof is atleast a 10 pitch.. When the liner was dropped the installer had to use pipe staging. The chminey has to be a good 32' above the ground.

My roof is a 12 pitch but I can reach it with a 32 foot ladder. My former home was also 12 pitch and needed a 40 foot ladder.

Have you hired a sweep before and if so how did the sweep do it?

Don't think you could ever make conduit turn 90 and also be able to brush. I gave up trying that after 10 seconds or so. Here's a thread from last year where I described using 1/2" conduit successfully going bottom-up. I don't know if you have working room to do something like this, but it did work for me. This Spring I'm going to replace with 3/4 because the 1/2 doesn't have enough strength to withstand the side-to-side of a 7x11" flue. If yours is 6" round or square then 1/2 should work fine. This is not a small amount of time and work, so the SootEater might be a better choice, if you don't minding spending the $$. Good luck.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60122/

You might consider solid PEX ASTM F876/877 CAN B137.5 tubing. I have a piece of 1/2 inch nominal that I have used. You can also chuck it into your drill motor if you want a little rotary action. YMMV

This is our first year in this house. When we had the fireplace first cleaned, the sweep cleaned bottom up. Since then we have had a wood stove insert installed. My guess is he would do that from the bottom as well since you can remove the baffle on the stove and have a straight shot to the exhaust of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.