electrical generation hybrid boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barkeatr

Jan 22, 2011
Upstate NY
ive been spending lots of time checking out all the homemade gassifyers on youtube. they are running cars trucks, generators and all that. some of them are very evolved. the gas thats being pulled off the wood fire and ported into the engines is called syngas if I understand it right. jeez, i wonder if there is anyway i could pull off some of the syngass in my profab gassifyer and run a generator. Probably not, i expect that my syngass is prolly not as consistent and good enough quality. These are sophisticaded machines. My my profab is not this sophisticated. also it prolly would not work since im burning cordwood and not these small chunks of wood and for other technical reasons.

but has anyone else entertained this thought? basically you could run the generator to charge batteries and it would take to much and you would be providing same power as a 20,000 solar panel investment..

YA, thats probably the best site out there....this guy sells self contained ready to run units. price tags are in the 34,000 range for the 5KW gasifying unit that runs a generator, provides some heat...how much heat I dont know. i was wondering if anyone has tried to run a generator off a outdoor wood boiler..by poaching some of the gas. I doubt that anyone has!

I have looked at those gasifier generators also. That may be my next move!! (after 1000 gallons of storage) Maybe run a generator full time and never use electric again:cool:. or until the neighbors shoot me because of the noise:eek: I really don't know but I think that the gas that we make in our wood burners is actually being burned in the secondary chamber, creating that nice hot flame. I think those generator type units use the gas that comes off the wood before it is re ignited in a secondary chamber. Maybe I'm wrong, so if someone knows how, I would love to tap into it. I have 5 generators from back in the day when I had 5 framing crews.

Gasification has been around since the 1800s. Google patent search would likely turn up a lot of ideas from 100 years ago. All the street lights in the old days were gas from the local gasification plant. In our piddly little town, my grandmother told of the kids following the town marshall around in the evening as he lit each street lamp.
http://fossil.energy.gov/programs/powersystems/gasification/gasificationpioneer.html
The plants made a mess, so environmental site survey always includes location of those old facilities.

I have looked at those gasifier generators also. That may be my next move!! (after 1000 gallons of storage) Maybe run a generator full time and never use electric again:cool:. or until the neighbors shoot me because of the noise:eek: I really don't know but I think that the gas that we make in our wood burners is actually being burned in the secondary chamber, creating that nice hot flame. I think those generator type units use the gas that comes off the wood before it is re ignited in a secondary chamber. Maybe I'm wrong, so if someone knows how, I would love to tap into it. I have 5 generators from back in the day when I had 5 framing crews.
your exactly right the gassification generators are using the same gas as what is going into our secondary burn chambers. Although I think their gas is much more refined and consistent. I cant imagine there is a way to pull off some of that gas of our thermal gassers. Maybe a few generations of thermal heating gassiyers will come with an electrical generation add on!

maybe there's a way to pull some of that gas off the the top before it drops down....mmmmmm....let's go to the think tank

necessity is the mother of invention.

and my necessity is to get of the grid....oh wait that means I'd have to get off Hearth...ok, almost off the grid==c

I'm thinking the gas that is burned in 'our gassers' would not be enough to generate much electricity plus still leave enough to burn to make enough.

Think you'd have to start with a much bigger boiler, at least.

I'd be willing to buy another boiler If I could generate electric with wood.

I do framing and we run a generator and a gas powered air compressor all day.
I hate listening to those things. Thats why I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other.
Plus with regular gas at $4.05 I'm dropping $20 bucks a day.
Sometimes we are lucky and there is power on the site, then I can run my big electric air compressor. Ahhh nice and quite.

I'm considering a gassifier that I can hook into my generator and compressor I'd deal with the noise if I was saving $100 a week

I hear ya. I used to run a gas compressor all day. I've since bought an medium cfm electric and it works for 90% of the jobs we do. If we don't have power or need more air I'll get the gas comp. out but that is rare. It saves me about $10.00 a day and It's nice to not hear the motor idel when your not using air. It is also a lot lighter than the gas unit.

I can see a more advanced methods to use wood for generation and this is not anything new and not my idea. This "generator" would really be a combo of a pyrolysis chamber to reduce wood to its gaseous components, strip off the hydrogen from the mix, combine the hydrogen with oxygen in a fuel cell to generate power and burn the remainder or compress it for later use to supply the home with DHW and heat. Larger units could supply hydrogen for fuel celled cars and/or larger fuel cells that could sell electric energy back to the utility. Your woodlot then could make you energy self sufficient.

IM not so sure we woudl need bigger boilers to generate electricty. These guys are driving trucks and generators for a couple of hours on a burlap bag of wood chunks. Something tells me cordwood is not the way to go though. i dont think the pieces are small enough to extract the energy from them in such a refined fashion. Maybe wood chips are the answer but i see where wood chips have to be just right or they block airflow. there is one guy on the youtube running large diesel generator off wood gas..but you can see a outdoor boiler in the background. seems the gassifying generators use 2 inch cubes of wood ( approx) and there is no bark and what we call uglies. its almost like framing lumber chopped up. but if there would be a way to extract the good quality gass out of of our boiler and let the bad gass burn for thermal heat maybe there is a way. ( kind of like what infinity mike said) Sadly im not much of a chemist or studied in the laws of gas. crazy thing is after these guys start thier engines..then can then shut off the fan pulling air through the gasser cause the engine sucks the air through. I like what you say infinity mike. Maybe there are ways to burn the lower quality gas that we produce in different, crude fashion. Maybe making steam would be less finicky on gas quality than a combustion engine. I feel myself leaving reality on this though. if there was some way to stick a pipe in your gasser chamber and extract good gas you would have it.

i keep thinking a mechanical engine will never run on cordwood feuled wood gas. and do i want to chunk up all my wood into 2x2 pieces ..NO. But change that wood gas to steam and then you have a clean more consistent energy transfer medium. ( that sounds fancy dont it). I found a small steam engine on the internet...its the latest and greatest from some inventor. http://www.greensteamengine.com/products.htm . its 2000 bucks. SO we have a small engine that could sister up next to a heat based thermal gasser nicely. Now we just need someone to pipe into thier OWB and try to draw off gas to make a fire..to see if its possible. Seems as though if you could run one of those weed burners then you have passed that test...? i dont think in the end we will have a full on AC generator but more of a continously running generator that is charging batteries? I dont know...

The problem with steam I believe is you need special liscences to run a steam boiler. It would probably be easier to have a seperate gasser to make the wood gas for a gas motor than to use your boiler.

special license...ouch. Your probably right separating heat based gasser to electical output gasser. Just something in my head wants to combine the two and have one fire... Electrical gassers they are pretty small units. My gas generator now is a separate unit what is the difference? Sure is an idea for the third or fourth generation wood boilers though aint it?

Each time you "convert" energy, you "lose" some of it. It's not really lost, but escapes the process in another form such as heat, light, or sound. If you gassify wood to use the gas, you will "lose" energy. Then, if you run a mechanical device, such as an internal combustion engine, more energy is "lost". Then if that internal combustion engine mechanically connects to a magnetic generator, more energy is "lost" in the generator, then if you store the energy in a battery (chemical energy), you "lose" more. Too many conversions will cost you big time. Go from wood as directly as you can to electricity, and you will only "lose" a small amount, such as in the fuel cell (no moving parts, no friction, small energy loss).

I once ran into a guy that was getting free energy. I showed up at an apartment house I owned several years ago and found an extension cord plugged into an outdoor outlet. Upon following in, I found that it lead to the neighbors house.

I once ran into a guy that was getting free energy. I showed up at an apartment house I owned several years ago and found an extension cord plugged into an outdoor outlet. Upon following in, I found that it lead to the neighbors house.

That was funny. Made me chuckle. I can get free electric also.. I will just pull my meter out and hope I get it back in before they come to read it

Power is lost in each conversion of energy.....one form to another..
This is exactly why electric vehicles are such a farce. They just add another step in the energy chain which reduces efficiency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy

Yep...energy is lost in conversions, for sure for sure.. no doubt about that.. but when the original energy source is wood that is free and renewable...i dont loose any "energy" out of my pocketbook or I dont have to work ( another form of energy) longer hours to pay for the fuel...I dont mind a bit of energy loss in the conversions!!!! . . Its just outrageously cool to me to run a generator off of wood gas. I want to build one of these. Im giving up the stupid idea of trying to make my OWB gasser do it...(thanks guys)..and when you see all the ones folks are building on youtube it seems like a bit of fun. There is one where the guy has the gasser on a trailer...and he pulls it around with his VW rabbit and the trailer woody gassifyer engine is actually running the car. Then he goes home and hooks it up to his house. love it!

Yep...energy is lost in conversions, for sure for sure.. no doubt about that.. but when the original energy source is wood that is free and renewable...i dont loose any "energy" out of my pocketbook or I dont have to work ( another form of energy) longer hours to pay for the fuel...I dont mind a bit of energy loss in the conversions!!!! . . Its just outrageously cool to me to run a generator off of wood gas. I want to build one of these. Im giving up the stupid idea of trying to make my OWB gasser do it...(thanks guys)..and when you see all the ones folks are building on youtube it seems like a bit of fun. There is one where the guy has the gasser on a trailer...and he pulls it around with his VW rabbit and the trailer woody gassifyer engine is actually running the car. Then he goes home and hooks it up to his house. love it!

I'm with you barkeater. I don't mind converting my energy into splitting wood to then be converted into a gas (by means of burning) to then be converted into electric (by means of my generator running off it);) .

The type of conversion I hate is when I have to convert my energy into working for a dollar bill which is then converted into pennies(by means of taxes):mad:

Lets met at the Roscoe Diner and brainstorm about how to build one:)

Reactions: barkeatr
Power is lost in each conversion of energy.....one form to another..
This is exactly why electric vehicles are such a farce. They just add another step in the energy chain which reduces efficiency.

I'm wrong then, because I thought that conversion from battery to electric motor was fairly high in efficiency, and the gasoline to motion (gas powered vehicle) is one of the poorest conversions. I'm thinking that one of the best conversions is from fuel cell to electric motor and so the fuel cell will become the basic people mover of the near future using hydrogen and will replace the fossil fueled vehicles. Hydrogen is a limitless fuel, and will be the "gasoline of the future".

I'm with you barkeater. I don't mind converting my energy into splitting wood to then be converted into a gas (by means of burning) to then be converted into electric (by means of my generator running off it);) .

The type of conversion I hate is when I have to convert my energy into working for a dollar bill which is then converted into pennies(by means of taxes):mad:

Lets met at the Roscoe Diner and brainstorm about how to build one:)
soudns good where is Roscoe diner? HA!

one firm on the internet is selling a kit of parts. They are called GEK or some such. it seems a bit more affordable than the Victory Gasworks gassifyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.