Electrical Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnL82

Dec 15, 2008
Maine
Hi all,
Now that we have the issue of the haunted auger figured out now I have another problem. This newest issue is more concerning. We have recently had some electrical work done at the house. I have noticed now that sometimes when I touch the hopper lid to open it I get a little gradual zap. Does this sound like a ground issue?

Look for a green wire in back of your stove and make sure it is attached to the frame. Is this a new problem? I bought a used pellet stove and ended up having to rewire the whole thing. You can also check the manufacturers website to see if the schematics for your stove are available.

JohnL82 said:
Hi all,
Now that we have the issue of the haunted auger figured out now I have another problem. This newest issue is more concerning. We have recently had some electrical work done at the house. I have noticed now that sometimes when I touch the hopper lid to open it I get a little gradual zap. Does this sound like a ground issue?

I been getting a static zap almost every time I touch the stove but that`s cause of the dry air. My stove is grounded.
Could you be having the same experience?

Gio said:
JohnL82 said:
Hi all,

I been getting a static zap almost every time I touch the stove but that`s cause of the dry air. My stove is grounded.

This is not a static discharge. It isn't an instant shock. Rather I place my hand on the handle and I can slowly feel the tingling in my fingers.

JohnL82 said:
Gio said:
JohnL82 said:
Hi all,

This is not a static discharge. It isn't an instant shock. Rather I place my hand on the handle and I can slowly feel the tingling in my fingers.
OK, then you need the services of your electrician again . Or a stove repairman.
Unless you are able (qualified) to troubleshoot and fix the electrical fault.

So here is the next chapter in this mess. I checked the applicable outlets and confirmed a grounding issue & fixed it. NOW when I unplugged the stove to check something on the outlet I blew the fuse on the stoves panel. I ran to the store & bought a replacement...came home installed it everything was fine. Tonight I was working on a seperate issue & had to kill the electrcity to the room the stove is in. I shutdown the stove unplugged it did the work turned the power back on then hooked the stove up. I fired the stove up and POP I blew the rear fuse. I swapped that out, plugged the stove back in with it turned to off as soon as the stove starts up, either with the thermostat kicking on or the manual start button I blow the fuse in the control panel. What the hell is going on with this thing. I am trying to eliminate as much as I can before my dealer has to drive 80 miles to my house.

At first I had thought it was an issue with the fuses I purchased but I confirmed & reconfirmed x3 that the panel fuse is 5amp 120v & the rear fuse is 5amp 250v. The thought just crossed my mind that I had pulled the panel off during the whole issue with the outlet started. It was after that when I noticed the fuse issue starting. Is is possible to attach the wire coupler reversed to the panel. I would assume that could lead to a fault or blow the panel fuse. Is this a good assumption or should I start making some phone calls to Travis Industries?

John

John one more thing to check on the fuses...slo blow or fast blow.....check the stove manual for the specifiction on the fuse...it may require a slo blow type which handles intial power-up beter than fastblow.

I have yet to be able to get through to Travis Industries to inquire about the blow speed on the fuses. Of couse the manual has nothing reference the fuses to use. I recently pulled the panel on the stove and I am wondering if I may have reattached either one or both of the couplers inverted if that would cause a fuse to go. I am going to pick up another set of fuses tonight and see if I may have done that.

If you received a "tingle" when touching the stove... you have a hot wire touching the frame. That is why the fuses are going... unplugging is creating a complete short, hence popping the fuse. Something is really wrong.. a frayed wire or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.