Electrical Outlet Height in Basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Another basement question...

I am thinking of insulating basement walls (other thread).
There are currently plenty of electrical outlets there, but they are all high off the floor-not like the typical outlet.
Would it be too hideous to keep them at that height or should I relocate them lower?
It's not like I plan a super-finished basement, but who knows?
Thanks. I know it's probably a stupid question.

I think I would want them lower. If you have reason to worry that you might ever have water in your basement up to the outlets, protect the circuit with a GFCI. Either a breaker, or an outlet. You can protect an entire circuit of outlets with one GFCI outlet.

-SF

Back in my wiring days, we always used a framing hammer (14"?) length for basement boxes, actually all boxes. Not sure what code is (was) but it always passed and was an easy way to measure at the time. Agree with Sly's GFI comments. Don't make more work for yourself than is needed, often times what you may notice (or that bugs you) will never be noticed by others (I can point out EVERY bad nail in my hardwood floors, no one else can). Go with function, if they work where they are at, move on.

My basement is field stone that I plastered with
fiberfilled cement.
So all my outlets are in the ceiling and it works well
for us as we use the area for a pottery studio and a
few hydropontic tamaters :)

HI,

Lower the outlets down to suit your uses. We put the outlets higher than normal and the light switches lower than normal in our house after watching my Grandmother try to unplug & plug stuff, and seeing how unstable she was bending over (why she was doing that is beyond us). Our outlets are about 19" high at outlet mid-point and if we build another house I am going to go about another 5" - 8" higher..still low enough a couch hides them but high enough we do not have to bend over too much. The switches are low enough so someone in a wheelchair can easily use them, and they can also use the outlets easier. Just a thought.

there is no code for height, but just for how far apart they would have to be. if it is going to be just a basement then it has to ground fault circuit. if it is going to be finished habitable space then you don't have to put in gfi. if it is going to habitable let me know i tell how to lay it out.

this is what i do for a living.

Status
Not open for further replies.