Electrical Outlet inside Prefab Zero Clearance Fireplace for Blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jblood

Oct 18, 2010
Southern Michigan
I am planning an insert installation into my zero clearance prefab fireplace.
The prefab fireplace is a majestic BR 42. The manual shows an area indicated as “electricalâ€. When I look at it I see a small indented cylindrical area in the “fake firebrick side panelsâ€. Is this a “knock out†for conduit? I would like to install an electrical outlet in the fireplace that would reside in the area between the insert and the inside wall of the prefab. I want to be able to plug in a blower into the outlet without running a cord across the hearth. I saw an episode of this old house where they did this in a masonry fireplace. The problem is I see nothing in the manual for the insert or the prefab fireplace about where an outlet can be placed (i.e. proximity to the insert, piercing the zero clearance wall…) I assume this is a somewhat common issue but can’t find much in the forums about this.
Any thoughts?
See Attached prefab spec.

Attachments

• MajesticBR42.jpg
    MajesticBR42.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,612
National Electrical Code states that you cannot have an inaccessible outlet. I hard wired mine.

Hardwire is fine too I guess but is it acceptable to bring the conduit in through the prefab fireplace wall?

Wow - nice job. I have been searching for a better manual to no avail. Thanks for the info.
I still wonder how close to the external walls of the insert is considered acceptable? Any thoughts there?

However I think this is strictly for wiring into the circulating models which i do not have. I want to run wire into to fireplace cavity itself.

If you are referring to the outer walls of the insert to the rough opening , the manual shows 1/2".

I would treat it as non-accessable since once the insert is installed, you won't have access to the receptacle. In that case I would hard wire it. Best to get an electrician just in case.

You might want to call Majestic.

That knock out in the refractory is for a gas line, if you were to have log lighter or ar a gas log set. It is not for wiring, this area is going to be very hot !!! Any electrical connections would be done under the floor of the pre-fab box, and it would only be wired if it was a circulating unit. the blower mounts on the front of the insert , you wouldn't have a good way to get behind the surround panel of the insert either.

yes but I wonder if conduit could be run through there terminating with a steel enclosed outlet. Many of the inserts themselves have wiring or an electrical cord running from them. I saw an episode of this old house where they installed such an outlet inside a masonry fireplace and then installed the insert.

The reasonm I ask is i'd like to put my own blower in the space between the insert and the refractory panel. The insert I want does not have a blower but I have plenty of space on either side of the insert. Just need to figure how to get electricity to it safely.

jblood said:
yes but I wonder if conduit could be run through there terminating with a steel enclosed outlet. Many of the inserts themselves have wiring or an electrical cord running from them. I saw an episode of this old house where they installed such an outlet inside a masonry fireplace and then installed the insert.

The reasonm I ask is i'd like to put my own blower in the space between the insert and the refractory panel. The insert I want does not have a blower but I have plenty of space on either side of the insert. Just need to figure how to get electricity to it safely.
The wiring on inserts is located on the blower, which mounts in front of the firebox, away from serious heat. I think putting a blower inside the fireplace, beside the insert would severely affect the efficiency of the insert. Is this insert approved for use in a zero-clearance firebox? It's odd that it has no blower.

It depends on the insert and the amount of heat that will be radiated in and around the firebox. Inserts inherently are designed to be "inserted" so they design them to force as much heat as possible out the front whether it be by convection or forced air. My insert does have blowers and came with a cord. I also did not want an ugly cord showing so I cut it off and installed a dedicated UF-B #12 Nomex. I further protected it with a sleeve of stove door gasket material. I would not put a receptacle in the firebox. To me that is a no-no. What I did is at my own risk. What you do is at your risk. Take your time and be sure whatever you do is safe.

0003.jpg

0001.jpg

0005.jpg

0008.jpg

That is a beautiful insert, you got any pics of that installed?

The insert I want to install is approved for use with zero clearance fireplaces. It is a Regency Alterra CL1200. Unfortunately it does not have a blower. The next size up (1250 - with blower) will not fit. Therefore, I want to rig up my own blower. As I see it, there are two options. 1) Make a custom blower to set on the hearth and force air into the convective intake. This would result in a black box sitting on the hearth - ugly. 2) Maka a cutom blower that goes inside the fireplace in the void space on the side of the insert. I would create two louvered vents on each sise of the insert. One would be intake and the other exhaust. So I would get airflow around the insert. It, of course would not go in and out the front face but it would flow around the outside of the insert firebox and should be better than nothing. This option is nice because everything would be hidden.

Having said all that, you insert looks awsome. I suspect it would not fit in my tiny zero clearance fireplace but what brandmodel is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.