Q&A Electrical smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Re: electrical smell We recently purchased a home with a zero clearance wood burning fireplace.I have to admit that I don't really know much about these units. We have had our first fire in the fireplace and there is an odor much like that with an electric convection heater.Is this normal? I am used to the old masonry fireplaces.

Answer:

Depends. If the unit is new this will always happen. If it has not been used in a long while, the dust inside the convection jacket will smell.
However, after the initial firings it should not smell. If it continues have it checked by a certified sweep or installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.