1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Electricity rate comparison

Post in 'The Green Room' started by Swedishchef, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    I think your schedule helps immensely. That $0.05 /kWh is also quite a cheap rate! BUt then there's the 30 cents..that is EXPENSIVE. $0,30/kWh???? Wow.

Andrew

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. RustyShackleford

RustyShackleford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NC
    Oh yeah, of course - it doesn't have to be ERWH for this "battery" notion to work. But another argument for ERWH, that I read here or elsewhere, is that the quite substantial dollar savings (over a fancy one like HPWH or condensing gas) can be put towards PV solar, which is on a cost curve that Jeremy Grantham compared to Moore's Law. Wasn't really an issue for me as I just didn't have a place in the house where the noise of HPWH wouldn't be bothersome, plus I really wanted the thing in the crawlspace, and there's no such thing (yet) as a lowboy-style HPWH.
  3. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    Sure, HPWH are not for every application. Versus PV, hmmmm. My HPWH was $1200 more than a decent ERWH, after rebates, and uses ~2000 kWh/yr less. I would need a 1.5 kW PV array to make that much energy, so PV would need to cost 1200/1500 = $0.80/W installed, after rebates to be a better energy deal. If my WH has half the life of a PV array, I guess we can double that, but I still haven't seen a lot of installs <$1.60/W.

But my rooftop solar resource is ~50% shaded by trees not on my property. I don't have enough sun to grow vegetables. :(

Couldn't you do an airtap with a lowboy marathon?
  4. RustyShackleford

RustyShackleford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NC
    I feel your pain.
    I don't understand what you mean.
  5. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    For a while I wanted a HPWH in a 44" high space....my plan was a regular, insulated tank, like a marathon brand lowboy tank, and an external HP compressor like the airtap or geyser brand.