Electronic Cat probe Installation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwbj

Oct 11, 2007
Ringoes NJ
I have a Vermont Castings Intrepid II cat stove that I would like to put an electronic
cat probe in place, but there is no hole or obvious spot for one. Does anyone have instructions
on how to do this?

I see alot of lookers, but no takers.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Do you have wire that would survive 1200+ degrees from the cat? How would you route it so it didn't touch the stove? I used a flue gas thermometer from Condor. It wasn't electric though,

Matt

Condor makes an electronic cat. probe with the digital read out, but I'm not sure
where or how to install it in my Intrepid II stove. There doesn't seem to be any
access holes or places to put a hole for proper installation.

I'm not sure what version of the Intrepid II you have.
The 1303 model has a small round shiny plug over a hole in the back piece (the back plate with the epa info. tag etc. that is removed to access the cat). I can't recall why that hole is there...there may've been an accessory for direct input of secondary combustion air or something? Anyway, perhaps you can get a probe in there directly into the refractory chamber?
If not, then perhaps you'd need to drill through the back into the refractory chamber?

elmo, The 1990 Intrepid II that I have doesn't have this plug, so drilling a hole is what I thought
also, I just don't want to cause any future issues with the stove. I might just buy a probe
thermometer for the stack only, and use it for a reference. I'ts just that the temps on the stack
drop dramaticly when the cat. in engaged, fired or not, there have been times when the cat. has
not lit even though the stack temps are over 600*. Measuring the temps at the cat would seem to be
much more precise and accurate for perfect light-off every time.
I'm currently using 2 magnetic themometers, 1 on the stack (up about 18") and 1 in the center
of the grittle, as instructed in the manual. I always wait for them both to be over 550*, but this doesn't
alway work. Sometimes it "hit or miss".

Status
Not open for further replies.