element p st croix cannot restart

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

annieb

Jan 10, 2016
Plains Pa
I am really starting to hate this stove with a passion. I bought two stoves last year. the first st croix is a Hastings and the second is the element P. The P stands for pain. I live alone and I set the fire before I go to work, Make sure they are filled and cleaned and I clean the burn times and burn pot 2 to 3 times a day. When I got home the Element P had run out of pellets. The only thing I can think is that morning I did not fill. Everytime this stove runs out of pellets, I cannot restart it. It will not fire. It overfills the burn pot and blinks #3. I just got it last year, and the same thing happened last year. I did not burn it most of the winter as it did not work and the company I bought it from kept putting me off. It was more important for them to install new. They finally came and said the firing mechanism was broke and replaced it. Because it was in April that it was repaired, I did not burn it much. I even had them come to clean it for me because I do not trust that stove. I clean these stoves weekly, a thorough cleaning. It has been 3 weeks and again not repair man, and no burn and of course it got cold. I spent $8500 on two stoves and I cannot heat basement where all pipes are because it does not work. I cleaned the lenses, checked the sensor, the stove is very clean and only ran for about two weeks and then it got warm. I removed the left lense and blew into it and even stuck the hose on the hold to suck up anything there. Tore out the walls and cleaned behind them, burn pot is clean as it is never used. What can I do to get this stove working as again I am not getting any help from my dealer. called twice and still have not called me back.

Flashing #3 is loss of fire more than likely from running out of pellets. As hopper runs low it can lead to hit and miss feeding to auger as pellets stick to side of hopper. Fire starts to die out and auger feeds a few pellets here and there but can't keep fire going.

Suggest an extended hopper if you want stove to keep going while away at work.

Flashing #3 is loss of fire more than likely from running out of pellets. As hopper runs low it can lead to hit and miss feeding to auger as pellets stick to side of hopper. Fire starts to die out and auger feeds a few pellets here and there but can't keep fire going.

Suggest an extended hopper if you want stove to keep going while away at work.
I get that, I really do and now I get earlier to make sure I do not rush out. Problem is I still cannot get it to light. Pellets, check, clean check, sensor light yellow and spot on, check, clean lenses check. Start stove after unplugging for 2 to 3 minutes, auger feeds, and no fire at all. It runs through cycle several times and burn pot fills, and no ignition. Clean out burn pot and try again. No ignition. is there something I am missing cleaning??

Bad igniter?

After the stove runs thru the firing sequence and then gives up, see if the pellets are getting warm (carefully - the metal can be quite hot without the pellets igniting). If they are warm and the lens is clean, and the airpath is clean, then perhaps there is a bad element. If they are not warm, then the new element may not have been installed correctly so electrical contact is weak or at least intermittent. Can you start manually and then let it run? If so, that will at least get you warmth until someone can look at it.

After the stove runs thru the firing sequence and then gives up, see if the pellets are getting warm (carefully - the metal can be quite hot without the pellets igniting). If they are warm and the lens is clean, and the airpath is clean, then perhaps there is a bad element. If they are not warm, then the new element may not have been installed correctly so electrical contact is weak or at least intermittent. Can you start manually and then let it run? If so, that will at least get you warmth until someone can look at it.
The pellets are not warm at all. Have called the office several times and they replaced the ignition last year when it did the same thing and it was only 4 months old. Pellets drop, no warmth at all always start on manual and then switch to smart stat when it fires up. Thats the problem no fire. None It is clean, even had them clean the darn thing as I did not trust it from last year. Off more than on. Now it worked for two weeks, ran out of pellets. Should be an easy start because it just ran out of pellets. cleaned hopper and cleaned stove. reloaded and no ignition. I go down every night to try to start the thing and I just end up taking pellets out of burn pot and then try to start and I am back where I started in 5 minutes with no fire. I am stumped. How could an igniter burn out just by running for two weeks and then run out of pellets.

You should be able to use starter gel to start the pellets burning, then let the stove do its thing once it gets going. That would at least get you heat. If you do this, only use starting gel designed for pellet stoves and follow the instructions. .

Do not use gasoline or anything else. I know other people do - but you have never done this before so it would be unwise to experiment with such methods now.

Status
Not open for further replies.