Elena Ecotech Pellet Stove - Error AL05

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

black_pond

Nov 16, 2016
Holmdel, New Jersey USA
Hello Ecotech Pellet Stove Owners,
I have a 2008 Elena Ecotech stove (now owned by Ravelli) and I am stuck in a "Failure to Light" error. In the past, I was able to clear the error with the P3 key but now it does nothing. I have...

1 - checked the switches on the hooper and door and they are good
2 - cleaned the flue, burn box, and everything else
3 - gone through the various menus in hope that I can clear out the error an other way, but no luck

Looking at my stove because of this error, I found that the reset button in the back did not have the wires plugged in. In the past, of course, this button did nothing but did not disrupt the performance of the stove. I have a purple wire (or maybe bluish) marked #2 and a black wire marked #5. I believe I have them set properly but this does not help.

If the P3 key does not work, I am learning towards the motherboard going bad. But I am able to successfully scroll around the menus with the other keys.

This situation arose as a result of running out of pellets. When this happens, this is what I have done for 8 years to restart the stove -

1 - hit the P3 to do the final cleaning
2 - clean and load pellets, hit P3 to start
3 - hit P3 to stop after the stove gets to "awaiting flame" (because if I don't , I then get a failure to light AL05)
4 - hit P3 again, to start

So, could this be the P3 key?

Thanks for your input,
Susan in New Jersey
P1030510.JPG
P1030506.JPG
P1030505.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, pressing P3 is supposed to reset any alarms. Then pressing it again should start the stove. I think your P3 switch is probably worn-out.

If you use P4 to enter a menu, does pressing P3 then go back out of the menu?

Try using the stove on/off button on the remote control that should have come with the stove. You need to aim it at the clear rectangular window, to the left of button P3. I am not sure if the remote power button can reset the alarm, like P3.

The hopper thermostatic safety switch (or hopper lid or door switches) has nothing to do with your problem. It is supposed to shut-down the stove, by telling the control board to stop the feed auger, so that the stove goes out.

If the P3 switch is truly the problem, you will need to replace the top control panel/LCD display. I doubt the control motherboard (located at the back bottom of stove) is the root of the problem. A handy electronics tech might be able to clean or replace the P3 switch "disc", on the top panel. I am good with electronics, you could send me your top control panel, to see if it works on my stove, and/or see if I can fix it.

For parts, try North Forge Heating, Annville PA (717) 867-1744, , or woodmanspartsplus.com.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lake Girl
Yes, pressing P3 is supposed to reset any alarms. Then pressing it again should start the stove. I think your P3 switch is probably worn-out.

If you use P4 to enter a menu, does pressing P3 then go back out of the menu?

Try using the stove on/off button on the remote control that should have come with the stove. You need to aim it at the clear rectangular window, to the left of button P3. I am not sure if the remote power button can reset the alarm, like P3.

The hopper thermostatic safety switch (or hopper lid or door switches) has nothing to

do with your problem. It is supposed to shut-down the stove, by telling the control board to stop the feed auger, so that the stove goes out.

If the P3 switch is truly the problem, you will need to replace the top control panel/LCD display. I doubt the control motherboard (located at the back bottom of stove) is the root of the problem. A handy electronics tech might be able to clean or replace the P3 switch "disc", on the top panel. I am good with electronics, you could send me your top control panel, to see if it works on my stove, and/or see if I can fix it.

For parts, try North Forge Heating, Annville PA (717) 867-1744, , or woodmanspartsplus.com.

I had an electrician friend, Jay, test the P3 key an indeed it is dead. All of the other keys on the display board work. I am going to try to fix the P3 key so I purchased a few momentary switches from DigiKey.com (very helpful people on the phone) for a whooping $1.35 plus $7 shipping. The electrician will solder the best fit switch in and we'll see what happens. In the worst case, I will have to buy a new display for approximately $200 ;hm. Or perhaps I might take you up on your offer to try to fix it!

Thanks for getting back to me so fast, it is greatly appreciated. I will post my progress later this week.

Chilling in Jersey

Attachments

• P1030519.JPG
    P1030519.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 180
  • P1030521.JPG
    P1030521.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 200
Looks like an easy fix, that switch type is easy to replace. Make sure the tech handles the board carefully, to avoid static discharge which can kill the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.