eliminate ash draw plug/plate ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carinya

May 26, 2009
ohio
I don't use the ash draw on my 13.

Being a mild day in sunny Ohio I have cleaned out the ash from the firebox & removed the ash plug/plate & replaced with a brick. The protruding "handle" on the plate is always a pain in the ash when I'm shoveling.

Anybody tried this before ? Pros ? Cons ?

Am I playing with fire ? oops, sorry :cheese:

Makes sense. I see no downside. There are evangelists that will line up on both sides of the ash drawer debate, but if you don't like it, don't use it.

I've cranked up a fire.

Stove top is 550. I pulled out the ash drawer & am able to touch the brick where it covers the ash hole but the metal bottom of the firebox is to hot to touch.

I guess those bricks are good thermal insulators :smirk:

the side where the ash plate had been had a tell-tale glow in the coals at the end of the burn.

I'll see if an accumulation of ash will block the air infiltration

I'm debating doing the same thing. First season w/ my 30 and I'm sick of that plug already. I never use the ash drawer and have extra firebrick lying around that would cut to fit perfect to eliminate it.

pen

I modified the plug on my 30 so it's flat. Nothing to get in the way now!

kgrant said:
I modified the plug on my 30 so it's flat. Nothing to get in the way now!

Getting ash in the gap around the new brick seems to have done the trick but I'll keep your mod in mind

Status
Not open for further replies.