elite 33insert installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salbwil3

Mar 14, 2007
Hi,
When I have my new insert installed, what pipe should I buy for installation into clay flue, outside chimney ? Also, should I insist on block off plate? Insert is going into brick faced metal fireplace/brick chimney. Hope I explained myself ok.
Thankyou, salbwil2

You need a stainless liner. for optimum performance use a piece of flex to extend through the smokeshelf then use ridgid smoothwall liner. Admittedly though a vast majority of installations are done using a continuous piece of flex with minimal to no adverse affect. The big thing is UL listed STAINLESS STEEL LINER. THere are various alloys available typically the 304 is more than adequate for use with wood. MOST liners require an insulation wrap to meet code. The only exception I know of is Olympic foreverflex which can be installed sans insulation in an operaple clay fluetile lined chimney. Although in cold climates with outside chimneys an insulation blanket is recommended to improve draft and reduce creosote accumulation. Hope that helps.

salbwil3 said:
Hi,
When I have my new insert installed, what pipe should I buy for installation into clay flue, outside chimney ? Also, should I insist on block off plate? Insert is going into brick faced metal fireplace/brick chimney. Hope I explained myself ok.
Thankyou, salbwil2

Like Shane said on the liner, and yes, you SHOULD insist on a blockoff plate, possibly to the point of making it a critical reqirement - If an installer tried to tell me I didn't need one, I'd look for a more competent installer (and say so!)

Gooserider

Thanks both,
My installer is giving me a price of $750.00 for pipe and wrap..........does this sound correct?
salbwil3

He did not state the brand, but my chimney is approx. 30 ft. high. He broke down the price as: 600 for the pipe and 150 for the wrap. This is not including labor, of course. I had already called the stove store about the pipe, but didn't ask the price ( yet). This installer came to me via another stove store that did not carry the brand we ultimately decided on. Since we have decided to have him also tile the face of the fireplace, this is turning into an expensive project.
salbwil3

Status
Not open for further replies.