Elk, evaluate used stove advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cath

Feeling the Heat
Jul 31, 2007
Elk,
Please check your email. I just tried forwarding you an email attachment of pictures of the VC insert sent to me by the owner.

I hope you can open and enlarge them.
Thanks,
Cath

Instead of starting umpteen different threads about your stove search, it might be helpful if you started one named "Cath's Stove Search" so people can keep track of your saga. The myriad of different threads for each stove you see in the classifieds or at garage sales are very hard to follow or keep up with and this way you would only need to post your background information one time. Just my opinion.

Metal said:
Instead of starting umpteen different threads about your stove search, it might be helpful if you started one named "Cath's Stove Search" so people can keep track of your saga. The myriad of different threads for each stove you see in the classifieds or at garage sales are very hard to follow or keep up with and this way you would only need to post your background information one time. Just my opinion.

Metal,
Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I figured that most people aren't interested in following every aspect of one person's quest. Rather some might be interested in different manufacturers, types of stoves, heating needs, etc. Not to mention that everyone has experience in different areas based upon the stoves that they have had or that they have sold.

Although I can see there might be some entertainment value in watching me fumble through this process. I wonder if my ongoing saga would qualify more as comedy or drama.

I'd appreciate feedback from others on the best way to generate informed input. Is anyone really that interested in what I wind up doing or are they more interested in specific stoves?
~Cath

What is important is to get a safe stove within budget
one That has a few miles left on it.
Unfortunately the used stove market s what ever is available

If it bothers Metal so much, We can use the phone e-mail or PM

Try sending the pictures again as e-mail atachments here is what I got

I think you saved them to the computer and not sent as attachments to ME if they become too big to post Begreen can help and resize them e-mail them also to Begreen Lets all examine what you are looking at more oppinions the better..
I also will summon Mo heat he has the same stove about the same age..

Metal Cath has helped other members here and I have a feeling once she joins the burning comunity here she will be a valuable asset

I welcome and admire her efforts to get it right I hope she participates in the future and welcome members of the fairer sex.

Gees metal I'm the one suposed to be the hard a**

Metal is correct that the forum topics should generally not be used for one-to-one communication.....that is not hard-ass, but just basic netiquette - the question to always ask yourself is "what if everyone did it?".....and that usually gives the correct answer.

A thread with a title like that ends up wasting a lot of peoples time and bandwidth, because curiosity killed the cat.

No biggie, but Metal does have the right idea.

Elk.
I did try emailing the attachments (pictures) by themselves via Hearthnet. I tried several different ways but between my lack of technological savvy and the limitations of my 8 year old computer I just couldn't get it to work.

If you feel comfortable PM'ing me with your actual email address (rather than using Hearthnet as an email proxy) I could forward you the email from the Seller with the attachments (pictures).

I'll try to briefly describe what I saw in the pictures. There appeared to be a scorch mark on the the left side of the glass. I'm guessing it's about 5 or 6 inches around but you can kind of see through it. And I saw what might have been several small, faint, whitish gray patches on the rear wall of the firebox. I have no idea if this is the "whitening" you were warning about since there isn't much contrast between these patches and the light gray of the firebox itself.

I am also following up on a Hearthstone Heritage. Of course if we put that in the fireplace it would encroach on the living room even more but it would throw more heat. I don't think that heat would be too much for our living room since it would be a gentler radiant heat. We now have a large stand up fan in the dining room and that seems to be moving the cool air of the Air Conditioning around so I'm optimistic that we could similarly move the heat around the first floor.
Whether it would make it up the stairs or not is another story.

Thanks again for your patience and assistance.
~Cath

Webmaster said:
Metal is correct that the forum topics should generally not be used for one-to-one communication.....
just basic netiquette
No biggie, but Metal does have the right idea.

Craig,
Your point is well taken but that isn't what Metal said. As I read his post, it seems that he was advising me to maintain one ongoing thread regarding my search for a stove or insert, rather than different threads for different aspects of my quest. If you re-read my response to his suggestion you'll see that I requested guidance on that.

Would you care to weigh in on this? Is there a particular rule of "Hearth-netiquette" that applies?
~Cath

Cath said:
I have no idea if this is the "whitening" you were warning about since there isn't much contrast between these patches and the light gray of the firebox itself.

Cath,

Take a look at this VC Vigilant on Craigslist. That is the 'whitening' from an over-fire. In this case I will guess due to bad gaskets since the overfire is worst near the doors and hinges where excess air could get in for an uncontrolled burn.

Or maybe, the guy just has a bright flash on his camera.

i think i understand what metal is getting at. personally i don't mind reading peoples opinions on used stoves that others come across. the problem with your used stove journey is that your finds, and each thread associated with it, were coming at us faster than people can respond. the result was while one thread was just getting started you were already on to another stove which i'm sure is starting to frustrate some people that otherwise want to help.

it's kind of like the 'girl that cried stove'.

Too many threads to read - as you can tell, I often glance. I guess my concern was more the title - attracting hundreds of people to a thread without a clear topic title....as I said, no biggie.

Streaking on the glass means little on most stoves- might be the nature of the product or a small air leak in the gasket. As to small white areas, this is much better than ORANGE or RED areas, which really mean overfiring. Also, areas which are greatly overfired tend to "craze" and be enlarged and/or warped. So all in all, this stove does not sound abused at first glance.

Webmaster said:
Streaking on the glass means little on most stoves- might be the nature of the product or a small air leak in the gasket. As to small white areas, this is much better than ORANGE or RED areas, which really mean overfiring. Also, areas which are greatly overfired tend to "craze" and be enlarged and/or warped. So all in all, this stove does not sound abused at first glance.

Webmaster,
Just to clarify, the transluscent brown stain on the door glass did have a hint of orange to it. I do not remember any white on the glass.

The faint white areas were on the inside , at first I thought this was some sort of grey concrete/brick. But upon closer examination the interior of the firebox appears to be made of metal. So, if this is metal "fatigue" it is presumably minor, unless the slight orange tinge to the "singed" area on the glass suggests otherwise.

Also, the exterior is metal, painted glossy black, I did not notice any whitish marks to this surface.

Do you have any suggestions on how to forward the jpg pictures the Seller attached to his email? I tried opening them and copying them to a "Word" document and then attaching that to a posting here and then a Hearthnet email to Elk, with no luck. Then I tried saving the jpg images in "My Pictures" and attaching them to posting here and then a Hearthnet email to Elk, again with no luck.

I'm wondering it "overfiring" affects efficiency, safety, or both. If there are minor signs of overfiring should I still be interested if the price is right?
Thanks,
~Cath

Cath,

Dont worry about the glass, that is most likely soot that can be cleaned off, I bet it has the look a looking through a cola bottle??

Harley,
Thanks for the suggestion. For anyone that can't get the link to work this is an England's Stove Works / Englander 13 NC CLP. I did find one review on it and it was respectable. Which was a little surprising given what I seem to remember reading about "Big Box" (e.g.: Home Depot) stoves as of a couple of years ago.

I did a couple of key word searches and see that England's Stove Works / Englander is up and coming, which doesn't necessarily speak well of something they built 2 or so years ago.

If it were a little closer to home or of it were an insert I would look into it more carefully now. But I will keep it in mind.

Thanks for keeping your eyes open for me.
~Cath

The 13 series stove that we currently manufacture is a great small wood stove, and is available in an insert version (13NCI).

The current version of the 13NCI is virtually identical to that which was made two years ago, only the freestanding model has received a different style of air control.

Any pictures which are jpg (.jpg .JPG) or gif or even png should upload here no problem - they do have to be under a certain size - there is a guide to making them smaller in the pictures section. Never embed pictures in a word doc, etc - there is not reason to do so, and it simply messes things up as far as the internet is concerned.

If you don't know how to resize the pics, email them direct from your computer to elk or I, etc.

[email protected]

Harley if cath has no interest it would make a great donor stove and 1/3 the price at the box stores count me in to assist with the cost
These are very good value stoves backed up by a solid company with Tech support right here on the Hearth

Webmaster said:
... they do have to be under a certain size - there is a guide to making them smaller in the pictures section. ... If you don't know how to resize the pics, email them direct from your computer to elk or I, etc.

Where is the "Pictures Section"?
~Cath

elkimmeg said:
Harley if cath has no interest it would make a great donor stove and 1/3 the price at the box stores count me in to assist with the cost
These are very good value stoves backed up by a solid company with Tech support right here on the Hearth

Good idea, Elk - That's not too far from me - maybe I'll see if I can pick it up.

elkimmeg said:

Elk,
I am interested but first I would like to know if you think I will get a meaningful amount of supplemental heat out of this 30,000 btu / 1000 sf insert given that we have a 1348 sf house. As I recently described, we have a closed but circular floor plan and are willing to run ordinary fans to move the heat around. The downstairs is 800 sf or so and the upstairs is 500 sf or so.

Also, I was hoping to find a way to get the pictures to you for your feedback on the condition of the insert. Craig advises me that I can get directions on re-sizing the pictures under the "Picture Section". I have asked him to point me towards that section of this site. I'm guessing I'm overlooking something obvious but I poked around a bit and I can't find it.

Otherwise I will simply follow his alternate suggestion and forward them to the email address he gave me. I have a meeting to go to tonight but if I get lucky I'll have just enough time to try and do that before I head out at about 5:30 PM. If that doesn't work I'll have another chance at about 9:00 PM or so.
Thanks,
~Cath

well - might be a little late on that one - someone going over to look at the stove today - the seller said they would e-mail me if it was still available.

Cath said:
Harley,
Thanks for the suggestion. For anyone that can't get the link to work this is an England's Stove Works / Englander 13 NC CLP. I did find one review on it and it was respectable. Which was a little surprising given what I seem to remember reading about "Big Box" (e.g.: Home Depot) stoves as of a couple of years ago.

I did a couple of key word searches and see that England's Stove Works / Englander is up and coming, which doesn't necessarily speak well of something they built 2 or so years ago.

~Cath

interesting your seeing that we are "up and coming" ESW has been in buisness since the mid 70's and going strong. actually we are currently building a second factory here in monroe Va. i believe we have a member "Tmonter" who currently has one. im sure he would give you his input on the unit if asked. as for the "big box " label , yes we do sell through HD , lowes, ace tru value and others , but "btu for the buck" along with ESW quality i'd put our woodstoves up against anything of its size on the market.

just so we do not get off on the wrong foot cath, im not fussing at you about the comment above
i really am curious where the "up and coming" thing came from, kinda caught me off guard. i'd be very happy to answer any questions about our product line should you wish to ask as you can see im pretty proud of what we put out there , and have not only currently using ESW products in my home , but i grew up with them in my parents home (1977 model 28-A , still functional , although replaced with a more modern unit last year, also an englander)

by the way ,looking at the trim package on that stove , it was purchased at a home depot

Status
Not open for further replies.