Elk, evaluate used stove advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Metal,
I should have been more clear. It isn't just a matter of uploading to this site, it's a matter of getting it onto the computer first. That's something I've never done before.

I recently replaced my 10 year old computer with an 8 year old computer I bought from work. I don't even think I have a free USB port and I wouldn't know what to do with it if I did.

Replacing the computer is number 37 on my list of things to try and make room in the budget for in the next five years or so.

However, I think my sister has processed some of her photos online. Worst case scenario she can take the pics, save them on her computer and then --using your instructions-- I can upload them from there.
Thanks,
~Cath

Cath said:
Metal,
I should have been more clear. It isn't just a matter of uploading to this site, it's a matter of getting it onto the computer first. That's something I've never done before.

I recently replaced my 10 year old computer with an 8 year old computer I bought from work. I don't even think I have a free USB port and I wouldn't know what to do with it if I did.

Replacing the computer is number 37 on my list of things to try and make room in the budget for in the next five years or so.

However, I think my sister has processed some of her photos online. Worst case scenario she can take the pics, save them on her computer and then --using your instructions-- I can upload them from there.
Thanks,
~Cath

What do you currently do with the camera / photos? I assume you do some sort of processing to get them off the camera and onto some other media? - If so, see if you can get them put onto a CD as well (I know that many of the drugstore kiosks can do this now) and then you can just read them in off the CD.

If this doesn't work for you, let us know what the current process is, and maybe we can give some advice.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
... What do you currently do with the camera / photos? I assume you do some sort of processing to get them off the camera and onto some other media? - If so, see if you can get them put onto a CD as well (I know that many of the drugstore kiosks can do this now) and then you can just read them in off the CD....

Currently we have about 3 years of photos on the extra large chip we bought when we got the camera. Periodically we develope them and delete the bad shots and utilitarian pictures --for instance pictures of damages from a motor vehicle accident-- as we go. I think we finally put some on a disc a couple of months ago. Doing the Christmas pictures at the Kiosk is a nightmare since the pictures aren't in perfect order and you have to start at the beginning and go all the way to the end. I believe I had to wade through more than one thousand pictures the last time I did the Christmas cards.

What I need to do is figure out how to date stamp the pictures so that info will transfer onto the storage medium and show when they are developed. Otherwise it's going to be very hard to tell which kid is which, let alone the date they were taken, since they look a lot alike. It should get easier once the little one's hair comes in a little more since we think she's going to be a red head.

Unfortunately, it will be a little while longer before I get that sorted out since I've got a lot of other stuff going on. But thanks for the reminder.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to have my sister take the pictures with her digital camera and then use her newer computer, as opposed to my 20th century paper weight.
~Cath

stoveguy2esw said:
as for my earlier posting , i apologise if i offended, but i was a little suprised by the up and coming thing (i wont get back into that , its ok) as for helping , heck yeah , thats why im here. im off the clock so i help everyone i can regardless of who's stove they have or are looking at. im not here to push product, im here to help however i can. ill do all i can to help you no matter what stove you go with.

EDIT: its a 30k unit , 1300+ sqft, if you are adequately insulated it will likely heat the house stand alone except on bitter cold days or nights, if the floor plan allows heat distribution easily, if any of the above criteria are not met it still will knock back your heating bill a long ways as it will heat most of the house if not all.

Mike,
Thanks for the input on whether I'm likely to get a meaningful amount of supplementary heat out of the unit. Thanks also for your comments on the width of my fireplace in the rear. I did catch this but I probably didn't review it with the Vermont Casting's "Level 2 Tech" as carefully as I should have. I know that I asked the right question and the answer was favorable, but I don't remember it with enough clarity to be certain. At the time I was more concerned about the depth. We'll know soon enough.

Finally, thanks for mentioning the ceramic baffle. I asked DH about it and he describes a 5" x 6" inch or so piece of what appears to be fiberglass in the back. Is that it? If not, could you describe what I should be looking for: shape, color, size, etc.?

As far as whether you offended me, absolutely not. Nor does it bother me that you would seek feedback on your product. I think it's perfectly appropriate for you to maintain an Englander presence here and see what people think about your stoves. And it's entirely reasonable for you to tactfully challenge people's perceptions about Englander if you think they are off base. That's a far cry from "pushing product".

I think I try not to spout off about things I don't know and it's clear I don't know much about wood stoves. I merely mentioned some negative comments I'd heard in the past about "big box" wood stoves, Englander being one of them. When you called me on that --which is probably what I would have done if I was you-- I tried to clarify what I said to indicate that Englander's reputation is improving. I think I chose the expression "up and coming" since the connotation is less negative, not realizing Englander has actually been around awhile. But I'm not sure the expression can't still apply.

In any case. I hope I didn't offend you. I'm realize Englander has a place in the market. As my situation clearly illustrates we can't all afford Harman, Quadrafire, Hearthstone, etc. And I wouldn't hesitate to suggest that someone at least consider an Englander.

Ultimately I think the reason I went with a used (but newer) Vermont Castings as opposed to a new Englander, or a used Englander for that matter, is that if we wind up not using it or if we wind up moving and no longer need the stove, that we can recoup more of what we paid for it.

Have a great weekend.
~Cath

Finally, thanks for mentioning the ceramic baffle. I asked DH about it and he describes a 5” x 6” inch or so piece of what appears to be fiberglass in the back. Is that it? If not, could you describe what I should be looking for: shape, color, size, etc.?

does it look like "coral" maybe? , is it soft or hard , (check that carefully with a fingertip) i believe elk said this is a cat stove , if so that is likely the catalytic combustor. they either look like a honeycomb , or kinda like coral , or a louffa sponge , but they are hard(ceramic) , be very careful with it , they are extremely fragile after they have been fired for a few seasons , and they are danged expensive.after being burned they should be a light gray color , usually they are a sand color when unfired(new)

In any case. I hope I didn’t offend you. I’m realize Englander has a place in the market. As my situation clearly illustrates we can’t all afford Harman, Quadrafire, Hearthstone, etc. And I wouldn’t hesitate to suggest that someone at least consider an Englander.

as for offending me , not a chance. i realise that the "big box" stoves have had a less than stellar reputation in the past, we at ESW are working hard to change that. i did not take offense to your post , i just was kinda suprised by it. no harm , if nothing else , should you have a need in the future for a stove , at least now you will know what kind of service you will recieve from us, (and VC as well, good to know they have a service center to call kudo's to them)

if i may be of any help with your VC (granted i dont know the stove itself that well but im pretty familiar with woodstoves), i'd be happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.