Elm Burners?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was driving by the a farmers homestead Saturday, and had to stop when he and another guy were butchering up an elm tree alongside the house. I found out that neither one wanted the trunk, or any wood larger than five inches in diameter. I ran home, hooked up a trailer, grabbed a saw and one of my sons to help me load, and withn an hour added these rounds to the pile. They're the light-colored rounds below. The farmer let me know he was taking out twelve more big elm trees, 20-28 inch trunks, along a fenceline (I can drive right up to them on the access road), and I could have everything on those bigger than 5in dia. I like how elm burns, but man is it a bugger to get split. I was wondering how many other folks here split and burn elm, and if you all know any tricks of the trade to make elm easier to split, I am all ears.
I split by hand a sledge and wedge.With Elm I use four wedges because Elm will suck up a wedge.It's the best wood I know for a great workout.

Reactions: Redlegs
Status
Not open for further replies.