Elm - The Other White Meat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now back to your regularly scheduled “Nightmare on ELM street”.

Rod Serling is on the board? ;-)

I've never burned elm. Still to new to the wood burning world this next winter is when I'll be getting my feet wet. But I've split some elm with 10lb sledge and two wedges. That stuff was a pain is the ass to split but it didn't come out all stringy like that. All the work that went into split it better reward me this winter with good heat. I couldn't believe how hard it was I split oak that was still wet and it split better than elm.

The strings come from the ripping and shreading with the logsplitter. Oak darn near splits itself when the wedge starts...elm is its opposite.

This is a little off topic. How does cottonwood burn? I have a lot of different types of wood. Some of it is cottonwood Different kinds of maple, cherry, catalpa, elm, hawthorn and a few peices of oak. Is any of this bad wood to use?

burntime said:
You do not need paper to start it...just light the hair!!! I am going this weekend to drop a few dead standing elm. The good part is there is no question if I will be able to burn them this fall!!!

Ahh, but think of the morel mushroom crop you have coming...

If I remember right cotton wood burns very fast. Just not a high btu's. I burn box elder if its in my yard and I cut it so if you have it...burn it. I would not go to get it but hey, if your cold and outa wood you would appreaciate pine :cheese:

I do have a few peices of pine hey it was sitting by the road all cut up. I figured it would make good fire pit wood. I do have another type of wood that I don't know what it is. But splitting that was like trying to split concrete. That stuff was worse than elm.

Hey burntime...I think what you think, about 4 years ago I cut every boxelder on my lot cause I considered it a just evasive species. I kept it off to the side and burned it when I was home and had time to tend the fire. Sure it's junk wood but if it keeps my LP stove from kicking on it serves it purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.