Hello all wise wood burners! We purchased a home with an Elmira Stoves wood burning insert in the fireplace. (Previous owners left no owners manual.) We had the chimney cleaned. We can get the fire going, although it is a small firebox and requires a lot of tending. Our problem is that unless we leave the insert right-side door open an inch or two, the fire goes out. The chimney sweep told us that the fireplace flue is completely open (apparently the control for it does nothing) and that it should be working ok. If we close the right side door, it pushes a kind of a long rod that almost completely closes the chimney access, then the fire goes out, seems to be smothered. It seems as though when we leave the door slightly open, our heat is going right up the chimney. Oh, one other item of note: on each side of the insert there are fan type units (?), the chimney sweeper said it is a "heatilator" but it does not work, could this be our problem? If we got that fixed, would it draw air in that way? Or should we try to disable the rod so it can get air in from the chimney? Any suggestions are appreicated. Thank you!