Email response from Napoleon Customer Care about my inquiry for warranty and components made in Chin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
Asked them about the free standing NPS45. Here's their email response:

“Good afternoon;
The warranty coverage is as follows;
The following materials and workmanship in your new NAPOLEON® Pellet Heater are warranted against defects for as long as you own the heater. This covers: the pellet hopper, outer shell, ceramic glass (thermal breakage only) and ash drawer.
The combustion chamber and heat exchanger are warranted against defects for a period of five years. All other wearable parts and electrical components such as blowers, thermal switches and burn pot are covered and NAPOLEON® will provide replacement parts free of charge during the first year of the limited warranty.
Labour related to warranty repair is covered free of charge during the first year.
Repair work, however, requires the prior approval of an authorized company official. Labour costs to the account of NAPOLEON® are based on a predetermined rate schedule and any repair work must be done through an authorized NAPOLEON® dealer.

As to some components being made in China, yes that’s probably true. You’d be hard pressed to buy any manufactured product these days that wouldn’t have a wire harness, or circuit board, resistor or some other small component somewhere that isn’t made in China.

Take care,
Customer Care Department
Wolf Steel Ltd.
24 Napoleon Road
Barrie / Ontario / Canada / L4M 4Y8

T: (705)721-1212
F: 1-877-329-8324
E: [email protected]

Finding a stove 100% made in the USA or Canada has to be down right impossible! Assembled is the best we can muster. It may say made in USA or Canada, But there are pieces they purchase from suppliers, Those pieces could come from anywhere. Stroll down a Walmart, Target or Sears isle. Made in C is all around us. I did find some light bulbs made in USA, Phillips I think.

If customer service is willing to answer that question, Sounds like they care anyway.

Stove shopping is not as fun as pellet shopping!

j-takeman said:
Stove shopping is not as fun as pellet shopping!

you got that right jay...........sigh.....

I KNOW my Englander is assembled in the US, and I'm guess that besides the motors for the blowers and maybe the auger, the rest of the stove is all made in the US. I'd say the same thing about Travis Ind.

EDIT: this is a direct quote from the travis Ind. website:
"All our products are manufactured in the United States within an 11-acre, Mukilteo, Wash, facility called the “House of Fire” – employing up to 600 employees just thirty minutes north of Seattle."

The electronics pieces are the most likely suspects! If it has castings they could also be from China.

How do you guys feel about the ones that the box says "made in china"? Just curious is all.

imacman said:
I KNOW my Englander is assembled in the US, and I'm guess that besides the motors for the blowers and maybe the auger, the rest of the stove is all made in the US. I'd say the same thing about Travis Ind.

"All our products are manufactured in the United States within an 11-acre, Mukilteo, Wash, facility called the “House of Fire” – employing up to 600 employees just thirty minutes north of Seattle."

Pete we can tell you really liked the travis Ind. stoves. Maybe they will start making multifuelers someday!

A good part of my decision to buy the Quad Castile instead of the Santa Fe was the understanding that the Santa Fe was made in China. I believe it had been posted here and when I asked the dealer he said yes the Santa Fe was made in China.

smalltown said:
A good part of my decision to buy the Quad Castile instead of the Santa Fe was the understanding that the Santa Fe was made in China. I believe it had been posted here and when I asked the dealer he said yes the Santa Fe was made in China.

the same exact statement is being said about the Classic Bay 1200...!!!

All posted on computers made in China. :lol:

I don't even know for sure which ones are made in China for the Quad units. The SantaFe and Classic Bay would sound right though, they are both steel units so would have similar assembly techniques. I seem to remember trying to get a hopper lid bumper for a CB1200 and it was not easy to get because all the parts are in China, and they did not stock the little bumper pads in WA.

Of course they have to put it in giant lettering on the front of the box.

Quad started doing it when they could not keep up with demand in the normal factory back a few years ago. After things settled down I think they just stuck with it.

Its still the same unit though, all quality parts. I cannot recall any any out of the box problems with either of those units last year.

j-takeman said:
BrotherBart said:

I build my own, so assembled in the good ol USA! ;-P By a hack even!

X2.....lol

smalltown said:

My Sante Fe says built in USA..... although I don't really care as I'm Canadian

j-takeman said:
BrotherBart said:

I build my own, so assembled in the good ol USA! ;-P By a hack even!

"Chinese stuff stuck in slots made in China." Yeah, used to do that myself. Then the county government started selling current stuff off for twenty bucks a box as "surplus" so I just buy that stuff. Hell, I paid two grand apiece for them once. Why not pay for it twice.

j-takeman said:
The electronics pieces are the most likely suspects! If it has castings they could also be from China.

How do you guys feel about the ones that the box says "made in china"? Just curious is all.
That's a deal breaker for me... as long as I have a choice it will be US, Canadian or even European made...

imacman said:

not sure how they can say that when thier castings are made in china>>??
not saying i dont like the company, i really do

we live in a global economy at this point i could care less where it is made as long as it works! But i wish we did have more stuff made in good old usa!

Those Quad 1200's are definately made in CHINA. I read that on the shipping box on a new one recently. When there is a choice, I will definately buy made/assembled in the USA, Canada or Europe "BEFORE" China.

The problem with our current economy is we got in the business of exporting factories rather than trying to keep them!!! Full unfettered free trade like in the book the Wealth of Nations does not work to keep our standard of living up when we must compete with somone living in a hut with a dirt floor. Now the folks with the hut and dirt floor can afford boards to lay over the dirt floor. :) To give all of the folks in the world a better standard of living we must suffer the consequences or go off grid and be near self sufficient as possible. Which we should learn how to do anyway!!! Read Mother Earth News, it will prepare you for Living Wisely which our country hasn't done for many years now.

My 2 cents worth for today.

AR

imacman said:

Travis uses vast numbers of castings and other products from overseas.

The statement is still true. The stoves are manufactured there, even if the parts may come from elsewhere.....

Personally I don't see a problem with quality sourcing of materials from all over the world. I'm sure most of our cars contain parts from all over.

Nobody seems to mind the castings for Jotuls coming from Norway. Six bolts and a eighth of a pint of paint from the U.S.A.

BrotherBart said:
Nobody seems to mind the castings for Jotuls coming from Norway. Six bolts and a eighth of a pint of paint from the U.S.A.

I think anything made in Europe is better than made in China, personal opinion.

havlat24 said:
smalltown said:

My Sante Fe says built in USA..... although I don't really care as I'm Canadian

Where? I checked the left side panel on mine and it has a label with instructions, date made and a tag of the name of the company in the state of WA, but it doesn't really say "Built in USA".

this reminds me my venture buying a split AC unit for my mom and trying to get something made here, every single brand (all good brands) were assembled in Asia, it is just about costs.
:-;

the santa fe has only been made in china for about a year the 1200 has been about two years i have seen no real change in quality with out looking at the label it would be hard to tell if it was made in china or the usa the only real change that may give it away is that the reset button and high low controls looks diffrent the santa fe has changed more but that was a look upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.