Ember Hearth stove insert and SS liner questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stub

Dec 8, 2005
Older model Ember Hearth insert, 3"x15" rectangular exhaust opening, into brick chimney with clay tile liner, 7"x12" inside. Existing chimney is 8' straight down to the smoke shelf, and about 4' down from there to bottom of fireplace. Stove label calls for 8" flue. Given that this is an older stove, and that most new stoves specify 6" flue, and that the chimney height is only about 12' from the top of the stove, should I:

1) direct-connect using a section of 8" SS liner ovalized from the stove to as far up as I can get it, or at least into the smoke shelf.

2) reline full with 6" SS - this would be easier but I'm worried about getting a good draft with the Ember Hearth

3) reline full with 7" SS - Do you think this would fit? Would this be too big to get a good draft on a newer 6" outlet stove

PS I'm in central Indiana. I don't have the money for both a new stove and a new chimney. so I figure it would be better to put money into the chimney liner now.

I think you should first see what is required for documentation from your local town inspections dept. National code requires all appliances to be labeled and listed (UL listed) You should be asking the inspector that is going to inspect your installation. No sense spending one more penny, find out if it can be legally be installed. The answer in my town is no as I enforce the written code

International Mechanical codes Recognized by all states
Chapter 3 general Regulations.

301.3 Listed and Labled
All appliances regulated by this code shall be listed and labled

301. 4 Labeling
shall be in accordance with the procedures set forth in Sections 301.4.1 through 301.4.2.3

301.4.1 Testing An approved agency shall test a representative sample of the mechanical equipment and appliances being labeled to the relevant standard or standards. The approving agency ( Ul in the case of wood stoves) shall maintain a record of all test preformed. The records shall provide sufficient details to verify compliance with test standards.

301.4.2 Inspections and Identifications
The approved agency shall periodically perform an inspection, which shall be in- plant if necessary, and appliances to be labeled of the mechanical equipment. The inspection shall verify that the labeled mechanical equipment and appliances are representative of the mechanical equipment and appliances tested.

301.5 Label Information
A permanent factory- applied name plate(s) shall be affixed to the appliance on which shall appear in legible lettering the manufacturer’s name or trade mark, the model number, serial number and the seal or mark of the testing agency
3. Fuel burning units the hourly rating in Btu/h (w): the type of fuel approved for use with the appliance; and the required clearances

301.6 Conflicts
Where conflicts between this code and the conditions of the listing or manufacture’s installation instructions occur, the provisions of this code shall apply

Exception: Where enforcement of the code provision would violate the conditions of the listing of the equipment or appliance, the conditions of the listing and the manufacturer’s installation instruction shall apply

The whole thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/268/

Here is a person asking a similar question thread
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/311/

another similar post where the township will not allow his install “haven’t installed it yet .township wants the manual for specs and i can’t get it.”
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/269/

Status
Not open for further replies.