Ember Model E-20 Wood Heater/Furnace..Indoor..Automatic Temperature Controller?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pheby

Jan 12, 2009
Manitoba, Canada
Good Morning!

I recently purchased a home in rural Manitoba.
It has a Ember Model E-20, wood furnace, in the basement.
I cannot find any info on the Manufacturer.."E.M. Specialties Ltd, Ste. Anne Manitoba"
Its an older furnace, yet it works very well, I have been using it to heat the house, no issues with chimney, venting etc.
It has an "Automatic Temperature Controller"..that operates the "Primary Air Intake"
This is controlled by a chain hooked up to the air intake, and a box with a Bimetallic Thermostat..a heavy duty metal spring hooked up to levers, and a chain.
Of course the chain broke, and I had to take the sheet metal casing off the furnace, remove a steel box screwed into the firebox, and hooked it back up, but thinking something just isn't quite right.
I don't have the "control" over the burn of the wood that it had initially.
Does anyone have any ideas/schematics, or familiar with this type of setup.
I want to be sure of what I'm doing before I take apart the sheet metal shroud again..its a bit of a job.
The spring hooks up to a vertical rod at the top of the furnace, on the side.
It has a knob that if you turn, should open, close air intake.
At the bottom of the metal box there are 2 levers, and a chain that hooks up to the air intake...obviously one hooks to the top chain...the other to the air intake.
I believe that heat compresses or relaxes the bimetallic coil/spring..about 12" long, and operates the air intake.
I'm not sure the coil is set up properly..and thats what I need to figure out.

I hope this makes sense?????
Any ideas/assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.