Embers caused that big fatal CT. fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
That's a horrible bit of news (we've been hearing about it alot, here).

Going to dump my ash can in the driveway tonight, in the pouring rain.

I dumped mine in the garden today during the rain. Can never be too careful. Sad story, especially around the holidays.

you'd be surprised how many people have no clue
about how to disgard hot ashes, or any ashes for that matter

being in the F.D. we've seen them in plastic coffee cans...all
the way up to plastic and paper bags

a little common sense goes a long way....

its just to bad it took an incident like this to make people
realise

Article today about a coach in VT that set his house on fire by putting the ashes in a paper bag on the wooden porch. Fortunately they got out and most of the house was saved by the firefighters.

Not trying to be mean, but I don't get it.... How does a house go up like that and no one knows?
I know fires spread fast but the article said both sides if the house were in flames... From a bucket on the side of a house?
That is so sad it angers me...
When people buy houses with fireplaces or stoves they should be required to go to some fire safety class about stoves or fireplaces... Same thing for buying stove if you are a first timer... At least.it should offered
Sorry for going ot

Too sad to even comment about. Prayers to all envolved.

Ash and embers here usually go into an ash pail with lid, set out on concrete porch. Once pail is full, then gets dumped into a galvanized garbage can. When that is full, then dumped over the hill away from the house.

My understanding that the Embers were placed in a bag, and then put into a mudroom that was attached to the back of the house...IMO, being an older home, and under renovations, the old framing is probably dry as all heck, and the renovations that were underway, may have left the house wide open for fire to spread. Either way, a terrible tragedy. We also had something similar here in Ridgefield Ct. where the cleaning people put hot embers into the garage next to a couple of Porsches, one being a vintage racer, lost the entire house and two dogs.

iceman said:
Not trying to be mean, but I don't get it.... How does a house go up like that and no one knows?
I know fires spread fast but the article said both sides if the house were in flames... From a bucket on the side of a house?
When people buy houses with fireplaces or stoves they should be required to go to some fire safety class about stoves or fireplaces... Same thing for buying stove if you are a first timer... At least.it should offered
Sorry for going ot

For reference, watch the NIST recreation of the Station nightclub fire (2003). It is scary how fast flame spreads, but even more so how quickly smoke can kill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxiOXZ55hbc>

Within 90 seconds, dark toxic smoke has dropped to floor level and obscured everything.

elmoleaf said:
iceman said:
Sorry for going ot

For reference, watch the NIST recreation of the Station nightclub fire (2003). It is scary how fast flame spreads, but even more so how quickly smoke can kill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxiOXZ55hbc>

Within 90 seconds, dark toxic smoke has dropped to floor level and obscured everything.

Thank you ... That is horrifying... It really takes off at about 1:05
Now I can see why people die from smoke
Thanks again

I learned from this site to take the ashes directly from the stove (in a metal bucket) to a safe area (plowed field where I dump them).

I don't think I would have placed them on a wood surface before coming here...but then now that I know better, I'll never know...

I've learned a lot here...

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.