Embers may have killed 5 in Ct fire tragedy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ruserious2008

Jan 24, 2011
NH
Boy this one was awful by itself and now this article is saying that they think this house fire was caused by uncovered embers from a fireplace put outdoors that blew back against the structure and started the fire!
Always always be careful with your ashes. I put mine in the metal bucket (I have two buckets so we rotate them) and it sits outside for a least 1 week before I then slowly dump it into the compost bin again making sure its all COLD!
I'll share a funny dumb ars story about ashes/coals starting a pickup truck on fire that I witnessed. Moved into the city a few years ago....never again....hate cities...... and there was a house right behind us that had some young guys living there that liked to party. The first warm night one spring they are playing music at full blast all evening and by 1AM I'm fed up with it and when I look outside to yell at them I see this "Chimnea" type outdoor stove raging away and sparks a flying no more than 5 ft from my house. So I figure hell with this these people are idiots and don't deserve a yell and I call the cops and they come with the fire dept. They yell and scream at the dopes and threaten to arrest them and wind up hosing down the fire and giving them a $250 citation.
Next night the jerk starts blasting his music full blast for 15 seconds and then shutting it off...doing this every 5 mins or so. So I call the cops, tell them what he's doing, they sit around the corner and bag him for harassment.
So 3 days later around dinner time I hear the dumb ars arguing with his girlfriend about the Chimnhea and he takes it to his pick up truck full of construction wood and heaves it in there in a fit of rage saying he's "done with it". About an hour later I hear my tenant yelling "Fire Fire" and thinking its in their apt I grab a fire ext and run downstairs only to see the back of the kids pick up truck blazing away! And the kid is there with a garden house that won't reach and the water spray is falling just short of the fire! I should have made a video! I yell to him that I'm calling 911 and he screams "No NO" but we're talking a congested area and if that truck blew it could start fires all around.
So the fire dept comes and yups another citation:)
So...... careful with that Ash Eugene

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news...ed-connecticut-fire-that-killed-five-20111227

he should've back the truck up to the hose! =)

Then today I only caught part of the story on the radio but they were talking about a house fire someplace that was caused by embers blowing out of a firepit that had been used during the day that blew into the house and burned it down. Such tragedies as they were fully preventable. Sad

Status
Not open for further replies.