Emeral Ash Borer (EAB) hits close to home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinspector

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2009
Northern IL
The linked article http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-lake-forest-ash-borer-zone-napr29,0,1406518.story talks about finding the EAB in the neighboring town to me. It's sad, as I know that Lake Forest is proud of their trees. They are one of the first towns that I'm aware of that tagged their public area trees to keep track of the number and health of them. I imagine it was quite an undertaking. When I drive down the main street, the trees have metal tags that you can see that identify individual trees! This is also the town that was in an uproar many years ago when Mr. T cut down all of the trees on his large in-town lot! Remember that?

I guess the benefit is that I may have a shot at a lot of Ash trees for the next decade or so. I currently have a lot of ash and like how it burns and splits. I suppose the EAB will move to my neck of the woods next.

Yes, sadly, there is no stopping it. They tried many things in many areas but in most areas they've finally come to the conclusion they were just wasting dollars. It does make great firewood though.

I’ve been watching the progress of the EAB with great interest ever since I first heard of it about two years ago. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 to 120 White Ash trees west of the house along the creek. Most of them are still too small (8” to 12”) to have them cut for timber. I’m hoping that they find a way to eradicate the EAB. Short of that, I hope it takes 8 to 10 years (or longer) to get to south central PA so that my trees have a chance to mature. If it arrives soon all of those trees will be firewood. If it takes 8 or 10 years I will probably try to locate a small lumber company that would be interested in just a few acres of White Ash trees.

Ron

I was cutting elm with a friend a few week's back on their farm and I was talking to his Dad and he was telling me that they used to have to cut down live trees for their firewood as trees rarely died. Now it is to the point that it seems every species has something that is killing it; Dutch Elm Disease, EAB, hickory borers,Verticillium wilt for maples, beetles killing pines, etc. I'm starting to wonder if there will be any trees in 50 years. Pretty sad thought.

I haven't seen it around here yet but I am wondering a mauject injection should per-vent this from happening its expenive but if you want to keep the trees! (you cant save them all)

Yeah, I heard on the local news that the EAB has been found in SW Wisconsin, so I guess it's only a matter of time till it hits everywhere.

I can tell you that it is a sobering and sad experience watching all your ash trees die. Stacking wood now I see so many holes where the borers entered that it is really sickening. But, it does make good firewood. Its just that I am at the point where I'm not sure how much more I should cut for myself. It is kind of funny listening to people when they come here and see all the wood that is stacked up. Gives me pleasure too.

I was just over at a pesticide place picking up some general insect spray and started talking with the guy at the desk. He told me that they have products that will both prevent and heal trees that have already been damage by EAB. The control requires expensive equipment (and labor) to treat trees. I'm not sure how much of this was truth and how much was salesmanship, but a little research shows that both Ohio State Univ. and Michigan State Univ. have both done some testing of insecticides with mixed results.

From the Ohio State research paper, http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2051.html "Some formulations can be purchased and applied by homeowners. Others can be applied only by professional applicators. It is important to realize that success is not assured, and that trees will have to be treated each year. In many cases, it may be more cost-effective to remove and replace the tree."

I'm optimistic that a foolproof insecticide will be available soon.

We too were optimistic....5 years ago when they moved into this area. The county did lots of cutting trying to contain the borers and went to great lengths to even seek out all the ash trees in several townships. All money wasted.

If you have one nice shade ash tree that you want to save you can have the treeage injections done.(I think there are some others offered now) My sister in law has had one ash treated and it seems to be working. Her yard is small and if the tree was to die it would make a big difference in the shade of the yard. If you have a bunch of tree's this is obviously not a good choice. For a homeowner the only thing I've come across is the Bayer Advanced Garden Tree and Shurb Insect Killer. This site seems to be pretty good http://www.emeraldashborer.info/

rdust said:
If you have one nice shade ash tree that you want to save you can have the treeage injections done.(I think there are some others offered now) My sister in law has had one ash treated and it seems to be working. Her yard is small and if the tree was to die it would make a big difference in the shade of the yard. If you have a bunch of tree's this is obviously not a good choice. For a homeowner the only thing I've come across is the Bayer Advanced Garden Tree and Shurb Insect Killer. This site seems to be pretty good http://www.emeraldashborer.info/
the injection worked really well here back in 2000-2001 for the bronze birch bores I think we were installing them 6.00 bucks an injection and the tree needed one evey 6 in. kinded of an art foum putting them in.

wendell said:
I was cutting elm with a friend a few week's back on their farm and I was talking to his Dad and he was telling me that they used to have to cut down live trees for their firewood as trees rarely died. Now it is to the point that it seems every species has something that is killing it; Dutch Elm Disease, EAB, hickory borers,Verticillium wilt for maples, beetles killing pines, etc. I'm starting to wonder if there will be any trees in 50 years. Pretty sad thought.

Friggin shame! I guess we'll be buying our wood from China, like everything else! And, of course cars from Japan.

what does the tree look like when hit with the emerald ash borer? I cut alot of ash this year, and noticed that alot of the limbs and trunk under 8" felt really really light and had holes in the bark. nice perfectly round holes.

CowboyAndy said:
what does the tree look like when hit with the emerald ash borer? I cut alot of ash this year, and noticed that alot of the limbs and trunk under 8" felt really really light and had holes in the bark. nice perfectly round holes.
thats it

Andy,

Are you in Franklin county or Oswego county? According to MapQuest there is a Chateaugay in both.

Ron

locust loco said:
Andy,

Are you in Franklin county or Oswego county? According to MapQuest there is a Chateaugay in both.

Ron

Franklin. Go figure, there are 2 of the same towns in 1 state. only in New York! there is also a Chateauguay in Quebec, about 30 min from here.

CowboyAndy said:

Andy, that is not the emerad ash borer because the eab leaves a D shaped hole and not round.

As the trees are dying the bark begins to flake off the whole tree. Most will grow suckers off the main trunk trying to recoup itself but it is as good as dead by then.

If it ever stops raining I'll see about getting some pictures. That is, if I can get to any of our ash trees. Heavy rains lately have left our woods pretty wet and it is raining again right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.