Emerald Ash Borer in VA, Quarantine Announced

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cluttermagnet said:
Hiram Maxim said:
I was told that there is a wood pile the size of Boyne Mountain in the lower Peninsula at the Mackinaw Bridge. People trying to take wood to there U.P. retreat are being stopped and fined by the DNR!
Say, Hiram-
Not a thread-related question, but is your online ID based on Hiram Percy Maxim, the radio dude? Just curious. I can't tell from your avatar whether that's ol' Hiram P. or not. Sorta looks like him.

Pretty close!!!!!!
His Father, Hiram S. Maxim the inventor of the Machine Gun, mouse trap, ect.

I actually own 2 of his rapid firing inventions!

Hiram Percy Maxim is best known for being the inventor of the first commercial firearm Silencer. In fact his designs are just as good as most modern silencer/suppressor designs. Your speaking of the American Radio Relay League?

Good eye!!

Hiram Maxim said:
I was told that there is a wood pile the size of Boyne Mountain in the lower Peninsula at the Mackinaw Bridge. People trying to take wood to there U.P. retreat are being stopped and fined by the DNR!

Interesting since when we were up there (8/2006), the checkpoint/discard station was on the NORTH end of the bridge. Of course, being a gov't operation, maybe they haul the confiscated wood back across the bridge.

Ken

Hiram Maxim said:
Cluttermagnet said:
Hiram Maxim said:
Say, Hiram-
Not a thread-related question, but is your online ID based on Hiram Percy Maxim, the radio dude? Just curious. I can't tell from your avatar whether that's ol' Hiram P. or not. Sorta looks like him.

Pretty close!!!!!!
His Father, Hiram S. Maxim the inventor of the Machine Gun, mouse trap, ect.

I actually own 2 of his rapid firing inventions!

Hiram Percy Maxim is best known for being the inventor of the first commercial firearm Silencer. In fact his designs are just as good as most modern silencer/suppressor designs. Your speaking of the American Radio Relay League?

Good eye!!
Yep-
Hiram P. started the ARRL back in the day. And yes, we do know about his invention of the silencer. But strangely, that is where the story usually leaves off, as I didn't know about his father's inventions. I got into ham radio as a kid, 45 years ago. A great experience! There are still plenty of radio 'hams' around, although computers and the internet are taking over now.

Status
Not open for further replies.