emergency power for pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
...........has to be a valid consideration for pellet stove users.
Having been in the electrical trade all my life I own 2 generators and have a professional hookup but for those who might be looking at an inexpensive emergency power option here`s a cheap solution.
http://cgi.ebay.com/GENERATOR-1000-...yZ106437QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Not sure about the quality of this item but the price and size is right for a stove and some lights.
Brand name generators are not much more .
My smaller one is a 1500 watt Kawasaki. It`s enough for the pellet stove , refrigerator , plus a few lights. Or I can run my oil furnace instead plus refrig and lights.
These smaller generators are quiet and normally run for 6-8 hrs on a gallon of gas.
Should be good enough to get you through a blizzard.
I always felt more secure with a wood stove though. Everything has it`s trade offs.
John

That generator looks similar to the one we bought at the local wal-mart for about the same price.It ran the microwave and the t.v. but it wouldn't run the pellet stove-it seemed to mess with the electronics and act wacky.A very quiet generator for a 2 stroke.

pete324rocket said:
That generator looks similar to the one we bought at the local wal-mart for about the same price.It ran the microwave and the t.v. but it wouldn't run the pellet stove-it seemed to mess with the electronics and act wacky. A very quiet generator for a 2 stroke.

I`ve since read a bit about some of those small inexpensive generators being unruly and consequently I decided to put a meter on both my generators just to check voltage and fluctuations. Both generators were putting out very low voltage of around 102 volts. I adjusted the output voltage to 115v on both of them . My Harman P38+ runs flawlessly on both the 3KW and even the small 1500 watt Coleman (Kawasaki engine) .
John

Status
Not open for further replies.