Emergency Scrounging Help Needed: UPDATED WITH PICS OF HOW I ROLL(ED)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pulldownclaw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 2, 2007
Richmond, Va
Hey guys and gals, I've got a big red oak next door that I need to get out of my neighbors yard this weekend. He's a self titled "liability freak", so he doesn't want me over there swinging my maul busting up all the pieces to throw over the fence, so I've gotta take apart my chain link fence to try to roll most of the rounds thru. Good thing is most of the rounds can be rolled (although they will be very heavy), and he has agreed to let me bust up the ones that can't into manageable pieces. I need to take apart the fence at a corner, and with my luck it's not the style that just bolts on, it's got these spring clamp type connectors (although they aren't like a spring clamp where I can squeeze them and they'll open up). Anybody have expertise or good ideas? The only thing I can think of is trying to take some pressure of that bar and slide it up out of there, but that seems easier said than done.

Attachments

• 100_7024.JPG
    100_7024.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 766
  • 100_7023.JPG
    100_7023.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 773
Sliding out the bar is the only way I know of. You need a fence pulling bar and a come along, otherwise you will damage the fence. Why dont you see if you can borrow a tree ball cart and wheel the logs over. I did this last weekend on some larger maple logs and moved them pretty easily. Granted red oak is much heaver but it is worth trying. You can also try a handtruck with inflatable tires.

pulldownclaw said:
Hey guys and gals, I've got a big red oak next door that I need to get out of my neighbors yard this weekend. He's a self titled "liability freak", so he doesn't want me over there swinging my maul busting up all the pieces to throw over the fence, so I've gotta take apart my chain link fence to try to roll most of the rounds thru. Good thing is most of the rounds can be rolled (although they will be very heavy), and he has agreed to let me bust up the ones that can't into manageable pieces. I need to take apart the fence at a corner, and with my luck it's not the style that just bolts on, it's got these spring clamp type connectors (although they aren't like a spring clamp where I can squeeze them and they'll open up). Anybody have expertise or good ideas? The only thing I can think of is trying to take some pressure of that bar and slide it up out of there, but that seems easier said than done.

Just ask him when he'll be gone for a day and do it (split) then.

If you have a come along you put another bar a few links farther back and hook it to the come a long and take a little tension off the fence and the bar will slide right out.

You can also un-weave (<----new word) a piece of the actual fence. Use a pair of pliers and undo the locking loops on one strand (top and Bottom) of fence then unscrew it. Depending how tight the fence is you may need some rope to squeeze the fence to give you some slack.

Have Fun!!!

Thanks fellers, but realizing what a PITA the fence is going to be I decided to just borrow the box truck from work with a lift gate and roll the rounds out to his driveway and onto the truck.

how about a wheel barrel or hand truck the rounds into your yard without messing with the fence? Perhaps a kids wagon

All I saw is pictures of the fence...wheres the wood :)

Sounds like a PITA neighbor.

Tell him take his pick either let you do it your way (costing him nothing) or pay someone to haul it away.

I borrowed the box truck from work this weekend and rolled those bad boys onto the liftgate, drove around the corner, and rolled them off into my yard. Those muthas were heavy! That stack of split maple in the background doesn't count, and the pics don't do it justice, but it's a good score for my little old operation, and will keep me swinging the maul the rest of Spring trying to get it put up!

Attachments

• oak rounds on lift gate.JPG
    oak rounds on lift gate.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 479
  • oak rounds.JPG
    oak rounds.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 474
  • limbs.JPG
    limbs.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 484
nice grab!!

Status