Emissions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deering

Jan 1, 2009
Juneau, Alaska
Recently EPA informed our city that they have to crack down tighter on wood smoke emissions. This has resulted in an increase of burn bans, especially when the temps are the lowest around here. It's making me pause in my plans to install a gassifier system.

However, pellet stoves are still allowed to burn. Can anybody point me towards verifiable testing data showing that a properly operated gassifier has comparable or better emissions than a pellet stove?

I'd consider going with pellets, but their cost and availability make them a nonstarter here. They have to be barged up from the Lower-48.

contact the folks at Econoburn and Tarm USA

someone or other at one of those places should be able to point you in the right directions on the emissions data

pellets should eventually be able to be made in AK;

although I have not beeen there yet, I am told that some trees grow OK there.

you may have a business opportunity staring you in the face to make pellets from local crud wood and or other biomass (grass, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.