empress convection fan squeaking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fmarg13

Dec 15, 2008
Eastern MA
I didn't find any thread for squeakiing noise of convection fan for the Empress model, so hear goes.

The noise started at then end of last heating season, and I was able to put some household 3-1 type oil on the exposed shafts. It went away and then returned after a couple of months into this heating season. I then did a very close inspection. The wheel itself looks very clean (I clean very frequently!). so I put more oil, but a few days later the infrequent squeak came back.

So I then removed the red grommet holds the shaft (hard to believe this is the only thing holding one side of the shaft). Anyway, I cleaned the inside of the grommet of some black residue and put a drop of oil inside and put the grommet back. So far two weeks later and no noise. I suspicious that I have not solved the true problem, so wanted to hear from others that may have run into this problem, or could offer an opinion.

Note: I also eyeballed the wheel while I shifted from level 2 -5 and it seems to be balanced and not warped...though eyeballing may not be good enough. I prefer not to try and remove the wheel just because a)nothing in the service manual I saw for aid in this area. I'm wondering if this rubber-type grommet could be wearing? I run the stove 24/7 as long as the temps are cold and could the shaft have worn some microinches and caused the fan to squeak? It was hard to hear which side of the wheel makes the noise. I could not find any mention of grommet for parts- it may come as a set.

I would be disappointed if a 3 yr old stove needed a new convection fan. Before I call the service techs I want to explore all options.

Thanks

How about synthetic oil (mobil 1)

Appreciate the tip on synthetic...I guess anything along the lines of graphite or other super lubricants with high temp stability sounds right. (still quiet as of about 3 weeks now...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.