Empress FS Auger is loud

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srjtr7

Jan 16, 2008
Near Boston
I have an Empress FS stove that I have had for many years... and it is still working well and no issues.

But, the auger is getting really loud. It still works and is dropping pellets.

Is my motor in need of replacement? Is there a special way to clean the auger?

Is this a common issue and how easy is it to replace it.

Thanks in advance.

Update.... this morning I added pellets and turned it on. Now it does not sound as loud.... still is louder then when a few weeks ago. It has been very quite since I bought it until this year.

I think it gets louder the hotter the stove gets.

I know there is gears in the motor.... wonder if the lubrication is old and failing when it gets hot.

Can this be cleaned and greased??

Auger motor gear case can be opened (carefully) and old dried-up grease removed. Regular automotive grease can be used to repack it. If it were me, I'd get a small tub of synthetic bearing grease and use that. Local automotive supply or Grainger should have it.

As Jay mentions, some members have even drilled and tapped the case for a zerk fitting to add grease w/ a grease gun, but I'd still open it up first and remove old caked, dried up stuff.

I cleaned out the old grease in the gears and repacked them with synthetic bearing grease..... the gear noise went away.

But now I can hear the motor and it sounds like it is getting tired. Guess I will let it run and swap it out in the summer.

Here is a pic of how all the grease got hard and stuffed to the corners.

IMG_3349.jpg

Most of those motors have end bearing caps that can be removed, and the rotor removed....then drip some good 20w (3 in 1) oil down into the bearings, replace rotor,re assemble. Might quiet it down some.

Motor keeps hanging up.... looks like I need to buy a new one.

Looks like there are a bunch of different manufactures of motors.....anyone know what one is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.