Empress Pellet Insert Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmtg

Jan 17, 2008
Westchester County, NY
I recently posted in the wrong forum. I am totally new to this whole forum thing. So I am trying again.
We recently had a Empress fireplace insert installed. We are new to this and have some questions.
1.What setting should we keep it on? We usually keep it on 4 to heat up about 1200 sq ft. Our Thermostat is about 15 feet away on an opposite wall. The highest it read was 70 with the stove running on 4 for half the day. However it didn’t feel that warm. We tried setting 5 but it makes a loud vibrating/rattling sound. I called the place where we bought it And they that the noise was normal (it is the blower/fan on high). It doesn’t sound normal to us. Anybody have this problem? Sounds like something is loose.
2.The temperature of the air output is never consistent on the same setting. Sometimes it is luke warm and others times it it hot. We can’t seem to figure out what makes the air hot.
3.Sometimes there are so many pellet that they do not burn and the fire fades. Is there a feeder setting?
We also have been cleaning the ash pot almost everyday because there is so much ash or unburned pellets.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. grin

gmtg said:
I recently posted in the wrong forum. I am totally new to this whole forum thing. So I am trying again.
We recently had a Empress fireplace insert installed. We are new to this and have some questions.
1.What setting should we keep it on? We usually keep it on 4 to heat up about 1200 sq ft. Our Thermostat is about 15 feet away on an opposite wall. The highest it read was 70 with the stove running on 4 for half the day. However it didn’t feel that warm. We tried setting 5 but it makes a loud vibrating/rattling sound. I called the place where we bought it And they that the noise was normal (it is the blower/fan on high). It doesn’t sound normal to us. Anybody have this problem? Sounds like something is loose.
2.The temperature of the air output is never consistent on the same setting. Sometimes it is luke warm and others times it it hot. We can’t seem to figure out what makes the air hot.
3.Sometimes there are so many pellet that they do not burn and the fire fades. Is there a feeder setting?
We also have been cleaning the ash pot almost everyday because there is so much ash or unburned pellets.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. grin

Sounds like you are not getting enough combustion air.

The # one problem we have with users of the new empress is they dont latch the ash pan latch.

follow the steps here
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13419/

It sounds to me like you also have something loose inside the stove. My room air blower developed a whine (as I reported in an earlier post) and last night when I pulled the side covers off I discovered a stove part just sitting on the sheet metal bottom. That didn't have anything to do with the whine, and I was able to find where it was supposed to be and I put it back in place, but your loud rattle may be a loose screw or a missing part. I guess with an insert it's not so easy to pop the back off and look inside. And your installer or the stove dealer ought to correct the problem. I don't think Enviro would make a stove that makes a loud noise on level 5. Does the dealer have an Empress in his store that you could compare the noise level on the top heat setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.