Empty ash pan = poor performance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

Having an ash pan comes in handy, no doubt, but when I empty it, the stove then has poor performance. Everything burns good, super seasoned wood, when the wood gets charred, and the stove is up to temp and I begin to close it down, I'll get secondaries for a bit, and then they will die out fast, and I can't close it down as far as usual.. Again, this only happens when I empty the ash pan.

I don't have an ash pan, but I get the most heat out of my stove after I clean out the ashes. It does create a bit of a conundrum because when it gets mild, I let the stove go cold and clean out the ashes but the ashes are nice to keep the coals and keep some of the heat in the stove when making small fires. When it's really cold is when I need to remove the ashes while they're hot cuz I can't let the stove go cold.

What I am finding is that the first load after cleaning out the ash pan is a bit sluggish until a new bed of coals develos. You may want to leave some ash in the firebox to provide a little insulation.

I do find, though, once that bed of coals develos the stove performs better after cleaning pout the stove.

Leave it full during the cold 24/7 burn season and nibble at the ash and coals in the stove with shovel and bucket. I don't have an ash pan so no clue why it is happening. If it is the first pan unload or it did not happen in the past make sure you did not bump, move, close off something(air) when removing or replacing pan. maybe some ash is blocking something? Just thoughts that would go through my head in your situation. I get my best performance with a little ash bed in the bottom but I am also running old technology at this time.

Hey Backwoods,
The Castine is a lot like the Oslo as far as the ashpan goes. I dont empty mine all winter in order to get the better performance you mention. I wish I had known that the first season, but at least the last two have been better. I usually just scoop out the box once every week or two. Even then I notice a big difference in performance for the first few fires until an ash bed is formed. The ashes definately help cover the embers for longer overnight burns as well. You're always learning better techniques around here.

I never fully empty my stove either. I do the following every morning:

1. Clear the ash near the door.
2. Run my shovel under the hot coals and scoop out the underlying ash (some black coal in here too). I take 3 large scoops out, shaking the shovel a bit to knock off the hot coals that are usually now sitting on top of my scoop.
3. Use my raker to even out the remaining coals.
4. Throw on the wood.

My stove seems to perform best when I do this daily. It is approximately 1/4 to 1/3 of the ash in the stove.

Still, experiment. every stove is a bit different.

I had an Oslo (larger cousin to Castine) & discovered the same.
Ended up putting a piece of sheet metal over the ash grate &
scooped-out ashes as needed. Made a significant difference.

Chelmsford Fireplace Center said:
Are you cleaning out the the fire box as well or are you just dumping the ash pan? And does this happen even if you dump the ash pan while the stove is burning and under way?
Cory

My question as well . . . I routinely dump the ashpan and have never noticed a difference . . . on either a cold start or on hot coals.

However, I only clean out the ash pan . . . the ash and any coals in the firebox I leave alone . . . perhaps doing a light stirring before reloading . . . in this way there is always some ash in the firebox . . . maybe 1/2 to 1 inch.

firefighterjake said:
Are you cleaning out the the fire box as well or are you just dumping the ash pan? And does this happen even if you dump the ash pan while the stove is burning and under way?
Cory

My question as well . . . I routinely dump the ashpan and have never noticed a difference . . . on either a cold start or on hot coals.

However, I only clean out the ash pan . . . the ash and any coals in the firebox I leave alone . . . perhaps doing a light stirring before reloading . . . in this way there is always some ash in the firebox . . . maybe 1/2 to 1 inch.

+1. I only empty the ash pan. Mostly because I don't want to shovel ashes. Seems easier that way and usually leaves plenty of ash in the firebox.

I've never noticed much of a difference after emptying the ash pan on mine. My complaint along those lines is, on the Castine, the grate doesn't sift the ashed down very well at all. The slots clog pretty easily, and rather than poke them through with the tip of my (what else) poker, I just shovel them out every week. If I do ever empty the ash tray, it is totally an afterthought.

Mine will still make good heat when cleaned top and bottom but wont hold a fire nearly as long.

I only learned this a couple of months ago. I was gone for a couple of days and my wife only added wood, when I got home it was late so I just throwed in a few more sticks and went to bed, next morning there was still a good bed of coals. I have yet to tell her she taught me somethin' .

Backwoods said:
Having an ash pan comes in handy, no doubt, but when I empty it, the stove then has poor performance. Everything burns good, super seasoned wood, when the wood gets charred, and the stove is up to temp and I begin to close it down, I'll get secondaries for a bit, and then they will die out fast, and I can't close it down as far as usual.. Again, this only happens when I empty the ash pan.

Could the ashes filling the space reduce the amount of air leakage from the ash pan door?

Many stoves run better with a layer of ash in the bottom of the firebox, especially if the firebox floor is cast iron and not brick. With our Oslo, we always leave a good layer in the firebox, even though we use the ash pan to manage the ashes. The secret to achieving both of these at the same time is to NOT RAKE THE COALS, FORCING THE ASHES TO ALL DROP INTO THE PAN. With ours, we rake almost not at all, and the ashes kind of take care of themselves, falling into the pan only when they are entirely burned out, yet leaving a nice layer of ash and coals in the stoves at all times. Best of both worlds! Easy ash management, yet a good layer in the stove for better performance. No shoveling, no cloud of dust, no spillage, almost no raking. What could be easier?

Cory

I will empty the ash pan around once a week, sometimes longer, and then scrape 3/4 of what is in the stove down through the grate, and sometimes empty that. I never empty the ash pan when a fire is going. Way to much air swoops in.

Jake & vomit.... Perhaps draft differences play a role in this as well. Or maybe the OAK setup I have.

Ploughboy.... I haven't had a problem with the grate clogging, actually, only the finest ash will land in the pan.

Jotulowner... Perhaps, but I'm not sure

Status
Not open for further replies.