Empty ashes from a hot stove pics.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Welding gloves & long sleeve cotton shirt.
I rake the coals to one side & empty 1/2 the ashes.
Then rake the coals to the cleaned side & empty the other 1/2
Every movement is slow so not to spill & make dust, don't dump ashes of the shovel,
slide them in the bucket so the don't have any distances to fall of the shovel to make less dust.
Scoop a shovel full pause 2 seconds with the shovel full still inside the stove to let the dust go up with the draft, then slow to the bucket.
Spread the hot coal around & reload with dry firewood. Stove up & running in short order :)
Empty the ashes in the garden between the raised beds.

Attachments

• 100_7093.jpg
    100_7093.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 527
  • 100_7103.jpg
    100_7103.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 520
  • 100_7106.jpg
    100_7106.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 508
  • 100_7107.jpg
    100_7107.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 531
  • 100_7098.jpg
    100_7098.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 531
That's what I did today. The ultra actually has a decent ashpan, but it's a PITA getting the plug out to use it. I used it once, because I didn't have a shovel.

Had a member a few years ago that sat the ashes out and then wondered where they went. Finally found'em.

Attachments

• Ashes1.jpg
    Ashes1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 475
Good thread Dave. The only thing I do differently is I dont fill the shovel. I also keep the bucket up against the doorway so that any dust will be pulled back into the stove. But if its hot enuff that can be counteractive.

I do the same thing but use a bigger shovel :)

Attachments

• coal shovel.jpg
    coal shovel.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 431
maple1 said:
I think I'd keep them in a covered bucket for a few days. A gust of wind could do bad things with hot ashes.

Dave has a few feet of snow. He should be ok. Raining here all day so I scattered them over the garden.

Dave is that creosote in the corners of your stove,I get the same thing but then after a hot burn it goes away.

bogydave said:
Every movement is slow so not to spill & make dust, don't dump ashes of the shovel,
slide them in the bucket so the don't have any distances to fall of the shovel to make less dust...
I do the same except I turn my coal hod 180° so that there is more room for the shovel handle.

LLigetfa said:
bogydave said:
slide them in the bucket so the don't have any distances to fall of the shovel to make less dust...
I do the same except I turn my coal hod 180° so that there is more room for the shovel handle.

Thanks all

LL
I was tipping the bucket until I got some ashes in it, but that's a good idea.
Next time I'll try it.

SAW
you have a very unique way, "Get-ur-done" :)

LG
A good draft pulling really helps. Sometimes I burn a few sheets of newspaper to get it pulling more.

maple
I empty right away either in a burn if no snow, garden if snow or raining.

ohlongarm
Yea, creo, was burning "long & low" with the warmer weather for 3 days. Now cold again.

BB
Hope i never have that much snow, same would happen since I couldn't get to the garden. :lol:

One of these days I need to try the ash pan. Would have to carry it out side & dump so not allot of dust flying around inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.