Empty burnpot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flem

Dec 12, 2009
Western MD
My burnpot gets almost empty before more pellets are fed. I have the damper almost closed to decrease airflow. I also tried increasing the feed trim rate to prevent the pot from becoming empty. Could this be a problem with the auger motor or control panel??? Photo eye was just replaced. I'm burning Lignetics, so pellet quality shouldn't be an issue. Thanks!

Have you checked the auger tube, it is possible that it is effectively blocked so that it can't deliver enough pellets.

I'd shut the stove down, empty the hopper and do some looking at everything from the hopper to the fire pot.

Yes. Cleaned hopper out, dropped auger and cleaned out the little bit of sawdust. Made sure auger turned freely.

Are you certain that the direction you are adjusting the feed trim is to increase and not decrease the feed rate?

Have the pellets changed in length in particular longer than they were?

Just because they are Ligs, don't assume they are the good Ligs, three plants, different materials, and the new plant seems to be producing crud pellets.

Have you got timing information for your feed system and have you timed it?

I was thinking the Ligs could actually be a problem. When the stove burns, it is definitely dirtier than last year's Ligs. Quality seems to have dipped. Lignetics won't return my calls or e-mails to discuss it either. I am definitely increasing the feed trim. I have timed the auger and it is spinning at the correct intervals. Is it possible that the Lignetics are so bad that my stove won't even hold a flame and shut off?

Well, I don't know if it would get to that point, however some stoves are temperamental over marginal pellets when burning on the lower settings. One of the standard corrections for that is to go up a heat level if you have no way to trim your feed.

I notice you are wondering about your exhaust, perhaps you are burning the pellets up fairly fast and a further reduction in draft might help if that is the case.

I have it closed pretty much the whole way. I have actually left it closed the whole way but didn't do any different. Any other suggestions on how I can cut it back? I run my stove on high all the time and still can't get a steady flame. Frustrating!

Which of the two stoves are we talking about? I'll need to get a manual and do some reading. But that won't be until sometime tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. It is time for me to get off this system.

Whitfield Profile 30. Sounds good! Thanks for the help!

Is the connector that connects the auger motor to the auger loose and slipping. I remember that happening on a whitfield years ago. Auger motor may be turning 1 turn but auger only turning 1/2 turn? I think it connects with a setscrew, it has been a while since i have worked on one

Yep. Setscrew is tight and I checked to make sure auger was turning correctly.

Just thinking. Is it possible that the gears would be slipping in the motor box? Stove is about 8 years old.

Flem said:
Just thinking. Is it possible that the gears would be slipping in the motor box? Stove is about 8 years old.
Yes, it's possible. Take the auger motor out, make-up a "test lead" from an old lamp cord so you can plug it in and watch the auger run for a few minutes. If there's a stripped gear, you'll see it stop turning, or "stutter".

Thanks. I will try this. I'll gladly replace the auger motor if that fixes the problem!

SmokeyTheBear said:
Are you certain that the direction you are adjusting the feed trim is to increase and not decrease the feed rate?

Have the pellets changed in length in particular longer than they were?

Just because they are Ligs, don't assume they are the good Ligs, three plants, different materials, and the new plant seems to be producing crud pellets.

Have you got timing information for your feed system and have you timed it?

This is a good tip! I have burned a ton and a half of Rockwood pellets and adjusted my feed rates for the proper flame height. I am now trying some Carolina Wood Pellets that are much longer and I REALLY had to adjust my feed doors on both stoves to get the same flame height. I'm not burning any more pellets. It's just that the entry door to the auger has to be open more to let the long pellets in, I guess. It's all new to me too.

I've already been on that site and have tried about all of their suggestions. Thanks though!

Initially you said you were worried that your burn pot didn't have enough pellets in it. My pot seldom has enough pellets in it to cover the bottom so it may not be a problem at all as long as your flame height is correct. I don't have your stove brand but a flame is a flame.

When I say not enough pellets in the burn pot, I mean nothing but hot coals, no flame. New pellets will enter just within enough time to keep the stove from shutting down. I will get a little bit of a flame, then the process repeats. Believe me, this thing isn't putting out near the heat it should be.

sounds like a pellet quality issue to me. Try getting a bag or 2 of a different pellet and see if they burn differently.

Actually picked up 4 bags of a different brand on the way home tonight. Will be trying them shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.