1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Empyre Elite indoor wood GASIFICATION boiler

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by barry488, Mar 16, 2010.

1. barry488

barry488 New Member

Loc:
    central mass
    Does anyone have one of the new Empyre Elite indoor wood GASIFICATION boilers. Any information good or bad?

Thanks Barry

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. dogwood

dogwood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western VA
  3. Reggie Dunlap

Reggie Dunlap Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Vermont
    Never heard of them, but that doesn't really mean much. If it were me I'd buy a proven boiler from a company that's been in business for a while. That way you are not the guinea pig and the kinks have been worked out. And when you need parts in 10 years you want them to be available.

Tarm has their annual sale coming up. It's $500 off plus the $1500 tax credit.

It's a tough business and there have been a bunch of companies that have gone belly up in the last few years.
  4. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    It looks like they are buying up some other makers and designs - that Greenwood, for instance!
  5. Frozen Canuck

Frozen Canuck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North central Alberta, Canada
    So is the boiler I see on their web page a GW with a new label?
  6. Frozen Canuck

Frozen Canuck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North central Alberta, Canada
    Sorry, found the greenwood on a different page.
  7. sdrobertson

sdrobertson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    This has the usual no real information on the boiler web site. I'd want to really look a one in person and check out the heat exchanger. The bottom chamber looks like it is in one piece with no removable (replaceable) "U" blocks to catch the flames. It is a clean looking boiler on the outside but without any real details I really couldn't comment on it. Diffidently worth looking into it though.
  8. mark123

mark123 Member

Loc:
    PEI, Canada
    It looks like the empyre is made by the same company that makes the greenwood, it is in Manitoba Canada and is called Pro-Fab Industries.
    http://www.profab.org/home/
  9. greg in MN

greg in MN Member

Loc:
    Southern Minnesota
    ProFab sold the rights to Greenwood to market the Empyre outdoor stove with the guarantee that Greenwood would sell a certain number of units per year. When they did not meet quota Empyre started marketing them. This is about the same time Greenwood closed down. The Empyre dealer told me this when I was looking at them.
  10. barry488

barry488 New Member

Loc:
    central mass
    Thanks everyone for the information. From looking at profab's website I think these units are just starting to be sold now.

Thanks Barry
  11. sdrobertson

sdrobertson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    If you get a chance to look at one, make sure you let us know what you think.
  12. NCPA Bill

NCPA Bill New Member

Loc:
    NC PA
    I'm far from an expert, but I looked at an Empyre yesterday. The firebrick / refractory in the secondary burn chamber is in four pieces, looks easy to replace. The unit looked good overall as well.
  13. sims2bavarotd@yahoo.com

sims2bavarotd@yahoo.com New Member

Loc:
    North East Pennsylvania
    I just bought an Empyre Elite Model 100. It has a nice size fire box, and is made very well. I have not fired it up yet, my house is a new build and not ready yet. I will be making a video tour of the boiler, as there are no good videos online??? The dealer i got it from had a new DVD that showed alot more images and info than the vids online. Here is a link to the instalation manual, I found this by mistake!!! I wanted more info on it and this helped out! I know have the same binder of info so it is the real manual. http://www.djsonline.com/empyreindoormanual.pdf
    If you have any questions I would be happy to try and answer them. I will post video soon.
  14. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs Guest

Welcome!

Please post pictures of your Empyre.
  15. JrCRXHF

JrCRXHF Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Mid, Michigan
    did you ever get any pictures of the unit. It looks like by now you should have ran it.
  16. Fi-Q

Fi-Q Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Bonaventure, Quebec
    I am curious, any info, picture, feedback, input on your new boiler ?
  17. FarmerTan

FarmerTan New Member

Loc:
    S/Central CT
    That one was in the running for me, but came in second to the Wood Gun. We had to completely replace our old oil fired boiler, and wanted somehow to keep the heat going in case we went on vacation or something. The Empyre has an electric backup option (I think uses something like 45kw or 75 kw - too much for my 100 amp panel to handle), but they do not have oil backup. The other thing is that the Empyre does not heat DHW, although if you have storage, you can heat it that way. We have a dealer about 20 minutes from here. I found them by sending in a request for info via the ProFab website. It seems a good product, but the WG was a better fit for our needs.
  18. FarmerTan

FarmerTan New Member

Loc:
    S/Central CT
    Note to self. Check the date of the original post before making a fool of myself.
  19. muleman51

muleman51 Member

Loc:
    SE Minnesota
    I am also interested in that boiler. I would sure like to get some feedback..
  20. pelletdude

pelletdude Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Conn
    Excellent Boiler - KISS principle. Open system does NOT require storage. Can use for DHW - use a 20 plate or sidearm. Lots of satisfied customers. Those that have complaints usually have it connected improperly. once changes are made it is very good.
  21. Fi-Q

Fi-Q Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Bonaventure, Quebec
    Yes it'S an older thread, but I ''restarted'' it, maybe the OP would have come back with some feedback. There is not much info on this and I know there is a few dealer here in Quebec, so I was looking for some info.
  22. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Bumping another one.

Any more feedback on the Empyre? It has recently caught my eye in a more serious way. The intial concern I have is the lower output temps compared to a pressurized unit, then that being lowered a bit more passing the a PE before it hits my system (baseboard) & maybe storage. The electric backup option & claim of not needing storage at all is looking good though.
  23. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs Guest

As far as I know, the only boiler that "needs" storage is Garn.

But probably most would operate 'better' with storage.
  24. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Specific question:

What size are the supply & return tappings?
  25. Normande

Normande New Member

Loc:
    SW New Hampshire
    i looked at one resently and they seem simple enough on the inside, no ash box per say you have to scrap all the ashes out int a shallow pan or on the floor, the saleman sayed no matter what i bought storage would definatly increase the effiency of the burn as it keeps the fans running untill it burns out, most of the experienced guys on here seem to agree. still need to see a vigas and tarm up close, wife want me to go pellet boiler for less "work", I think she just wants to keep me free for HER projects:)