Enamel cracking on a jotul F-500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

devanginny

Jan 24, 2012
I bought this about a year and a half ago and as you can see from the pics this is what is happening. I only burn wood in it and i have only used pine. Any thoughts on this would be great. I have contacted the business i bought it from and am waiting for a them to get back to me. I live in utah if anyone was wondering.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 846
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 960
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 851
My stove has that very fine cracking in it also. If I shined a light, it might look similar to yours, but the room is rather dark.
Yours looks bad in the pics. Something tells me that enamel does that to some extent.

Small crazing cracks are common, but not like the ones I see on that top. What temp is the stove run at typically?

That fact that you're burning pine might give you some really high temps in a hurry. I know thats all people can burn in some areas, but when I've burned it, I found it real easy to walk away for 5 minutes and hit 800+ degrees ( I've never hit those temps, but could see how one could).

The first Oslo I had in that color (I also have a white one) had spots on it where it looked like it had been shot with a shotgun. That was after just one heating season. Jotul ended up replacing it. No problem with the replacement yet, though I am going now to see it it has cracks like yours. The enamel on the white one seems to be holding up fine except for some losses on the edge of the oval top casting.

Ok when i run a fire and i have one every day in winter, I start a normal fire with the baffle 100% open when i go to fill it up next time i add the wood the lower the bfftle 50% I have temp gun next to the fireplace and I have seen the middle dish around 700 and the side are about 400 but when i turn the baffle to 50% i have never seen it above 600. If you look at the pictures it has some big cracks on the side were it never gets hot but its starting to crack there also,if this was just the top i would say ya iam burning to hot but when the sides are cracking also it makes me think paint prep went wrong some how. Thank you for looking i was wondering if anyone else has seen this with there yotul, the fireplace company i bought it from says there sending the pictures to the factor and will get back to me.

Mine did something similar and Jotul replaced the stove with no problem and I asked for the Blue Black and thats what I got.

I e-mailed the pictures of mine to the dealer, and they e-mailed them to Jotul, dealer sent someone out to look and take more pictures, then in a few days they called and wanted to know what I wanted and I said new stove.

Attachments

• SDC10308.jpg
    SDC10308.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 581
No it's a more flexible coating.Haven't really read up on it.I would like to know the answer to this 1.

devanginny said:
I really hope they replace it. The blue black does it have a enamel finish on it?

No the Blue Black is not the enamel, mine was the enamel Green, when I asked for the B/B I was told it was $300.00 less, and they would not refund me which was O K with me. It seemed that it mattered not what colour I got. The post is on this site somewhere may have some good info. for you. I will try to find it.

I would e-mail pictures of your stove to them it will give you a documented proof of reporting it just in case.

devanginny said:
I really hope they replace it. The blue black does it have a enamel finish on it?

go to top and search Enamel Paint (problems) Jotul F 500

pyro when i first searched for this problem you thread came up and gave me alot of hope that they will take care of me.

Mine did something similar and Jotul replaced the stove with no problem and I asked for the Blue Black and thats what I got.

I e-mailed the pictures of mine to the dealer, and they e-mailed them to Jotul, dealer sent someone out to look and take more pictures, then in a few days they called and wanted to know what I wanted and I said new stove.
I know your issue is over 7 yrs old at this point but, I am about to go through the same issues. They "replaced" my burner oval after I declined the steel one. Picked it up today and the greens aren't even close to matching. While dusting the stove today I found sizable pieces of green paint that flaked off back corners behind side loading doors. How has blue-black held up? I hope to have a resolution similar to yours.

CTK

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys- The blue black color is porcelain enameled, its just to a satin finish instead of a glossy finish. It costs less because fewer coats of paint are baked (making it a porcelain finish) onto with the blue black. The more coats used the glossier the finish. Historically, blue black does tend to hold up quite well, looking at those pix, those of the majolica brown, are unusually crazed. If the stove is a year and a half old, when did the enamel start breaking down?? Jotul's usual warranty for enameling is one year but they have made exceptions. Jotul is a fine company and will almost always do the right thing for the customer. I'd let the dealer handle this for you, its in their best interest to get this taken care of too obviously.... Good luck with it.

Reactions: jotulguy
I'm I recalling this correctly, some colors and some vintages had issue. Mine a geen, 2000 vintage is perfect.it has been hota few times up to 600 degrees, but now it never goes over 450.