Encore 0028 fireback

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dig this one up again.

I have decided that the refractory box rebuild and all the internal gaskets are on the must do list for next summer.

During this midwinter warmup I checked the flue. There was about quart of black flaky creosote chips collected in the cleanout tee :( The pipe itself looks to have a uniform 1/8 "coating of brown ash with some patches of thicker fluffy buildup. Possibly gaps in the insulation around the liner. This is from about 1 cord of wood consumption.

My wood this year is very dry - all of it 2-3yr C/S/S, some measuring under 15% on a re split - and I have been getting good catalytic light offs and cat temps running 1100F-1600F on most loads. So I can only conclude that a failing refractory or bad gaskets inside (damper, fireback) are allowing smoke to get around the cat chamber without being burned.

Probably why we smell smoky odor outside even when the cat is burning hot. Which reallllly ticks off the missus.

UGH.

I will be taking my 1987 vc 0028 apart once again after 5 years of good burning. I need a refractory as well as upper and lower firebacks and gaskets. I once saw a complete kit advertised that had both upper and lower and refractory. Any one know where this can be ordered or is it just piece by piece.

I will be taking my 1987 vc 0028 apart once again after 5 years of good burning. I need a refractory as well as upper and lower firebacks and gaskets. I once saw a complete kit advertised that had both upper and lower and refractory. Any one know where this can be ordered or is it just piece by piece.
I need to ask, why do you feel you need to replace the two piece cast iron fireback after five years?

stove is 1987 and 5 years ago i replaced the lower fire back.
2 years ago I replaced the cat and noticed the refractory is very rough condition.
Now both upper and lower firebacks are showing signs of warpage so I will replace it all

Status
Not open for further replies.