Encore 2190

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bailey020408

Jan 16, 2008
SE Iowa
I am considering the purchase of a Encore 2190 and wondered if anyone can tell me about this stove. I believe it was built in 1995 and was replaced by the 2550. Previously I had two other VC stoves but always purchased them new - this would be the first used one. Anything to watch out for??? It is advertised as very good condition.

I'm not sure why it was replaced by the current Encore model 2550, but the Defiant Encore 2190 is very similar to the current model.

The standard things to check for, which you probably already know, will the catalytic combustor, refractory package condition, damper frame (look for warping).

Check the grate for cracking and warping, generally signs of abuse, although after 13 years, it may just be normal wear and tear.

Thanks for your response. Can you tell me how I would know if the catalytic converter is bad and a little about the refractory package?

Corie said:
I'm not sure why it was replaced by the current Encore model 2550, but the Defiant Encore 2190 is very similar to the current model.
The standard things to check for, which you probably already know, will the catalytic combustor, refractory package condition, damper frame (look for warping).
Check the grate for cracking and warping, generally signs of abuse, although after 13 years, it may just be normal wear and tear.

The earlier pre-1995 Vermont Castings Encores had the catalyst access panel behind the stove. It was an awkward place. Later Encore 2550's had the cat refractory box access behind the fireback inside the stove. Easy access for inspection and cleaning.
Any cast or steel wood stove has a limited life expectancy if used hard for heating...not abused.
Besides the above good suggestions, check carefully for any plate deformity, leaks, air control cable and flap, operation of the bypass damper, and door latches. Try everything out. Fondle the beast.

A big however: If you're going to use a wood stove for 24/7 heat, or a large part of your heating, invest in a new stove with warranty, improved engineering, backup for problems, and looks. The cost per year over time negates any bargains.

Thanks for the input. I won't be using it for 24/7 heat as I have a geothermal heat pump. However, as wonderful as the geothermal is, I just miss having wood heat, and the fireplaces are incredibly inefficient. Purchasing a new wood stove isn't an option at this time, so hopefully this 2190 checks out okay as it seems it would perfectly fit my current needs.

Your local Vermont Castings dealer or online retailers such as Discountstove.com and woodmanspartsplus.com will be able to supply any replacement parts you might need to get it back up to operating condition, if any work is necessary.

Do you mind us asking how much they are asking?

They are asking $500 and I've seen photos - looks pretty good. The only question I have now is on the color. The VC website shows a red that is a bordeaux color, this red almost looks cherry red, so I don't know if the flash made the color really bright or if this was the going color in 1995. I can't find any info on-line talking about the color choices for this model.

Photo attached showing color - looks way different than the current red offered, could just be the flash?

Attachments

• stove_1.JPG
    stove_1.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 280
once again, that picture is small, and when I click on it to enlarge it, its not any better?

I would like to comment and say, that almost looks like a nice stove that has been painted?
but It is hard to see from the photo, it even looks rusty below, but, cant tell from the picture?

Thanks for you input and yes, the picture that was posted would raise doubts about the paint job. The original picture doesn't present it that way but the color is still a question and there does appear to be rust on the ash pan. I just really need to do my homework because it's a bit of a drive to pick it up and I have to make sure it's worth it considering all factors.

Well, if it is paint, you can burn it off and paint it black, which is what it was supposed to be. If enamel it is hard to figure why the ash drawer would rust....

So, if I'm understanding correctly, if this was originally enameled the ash pan would have been enameled also unless for some reason it was replaced? Is taking the paint off a lot of work - sounds like it might be.

Webwidow said:
It is a deep red, not cherry red.

Au contraire, Madame W². That porcelain Bordeaux "red" is a tough color to get correct chemically and cure; expensive also. We're on our third Bordeaux (red) Encore since about 1989 (mandatory assignments). The color when cold is often a bright cherry red, turning to dark maroon at the high end of heating: top griddle temp 600F-700F. "She" likes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.