Encore 2550 Door Latch System

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmcramer

Feb 19, 2007
www.cramersoftware.com
Despite the fact my manual says my Encore 2550 has the old pawl/striker screw door latch, it does not: it has a simple handle-latch system I am hoping some of you are familiar with. Here’s why:

The door handle has an “ear” that simply rotates behind a latch which is screwed onto the lip of the stove front. That latch looks to be no more than a bent piece of stainless steel – and not a terribly substantial piece at that. So this morning I am looking hard at how the door handle’s ear slides behind the latch…and I see that the ear is catching the latch only by about 1-2 mm! That latch is 1-2 mm away from not holding, the front door coming open, and disaster strikes.

Now, there is room for the ear to fit up higher behind the latch. If I could adjust the handle and its ear to fit up higher (don’t see how it can be done) …..or if I could lower the latch by unscrewing it and putting a couple washers in place…I could have 4-5 mm of ear catching the latch.

Can other Encore 2550 users take a look at theirs…..and give me some advice? Am I over concerned? Thanks for any help!

I will look at mine next time the stove is cold.

cmcramer said:
Despite the fact my manual says my Encore 2550 has the old pawl/striker screw door latch, it does not: it has a simple handle-latch system I am hoping some of you are familiar with. Here’s why:

The door handle has an “ear” that simply rotates behind a latch which is screwed onto the lip of the stove front. That latch looks to be no more than a bent piece of stainless steel – and not a terribly substantial piece at that. So this morning I am looking hard at how the door handle’s ear slides behind the latch…and I see that the ear is catching the latch only by about 1-2 mm! That latch is 1-2 mm away from not holding, the front door coming open, and disaster strikes.

Now, there is room for the ear to fit up higher behind the latch. If I could adjust the handle and its ear to fit up higher (don’t see how it can be done) …..or if I could lower the latch by unscrewing it and putting a couple washers in place…I could have 4-5 mm of ear catching the latch.

Can other Encore 2550 users take a look at theirs…..and give me some advice? Am I over concerned? Thanks for any help!
It sounds like the same stupid design my old Encore had, but I don't know if mine was a 2550. If it is the same design, the only adjustment is taking the handle around an entire turn to the left or the right. If it's like mine was, this won't help, as a whole turn will be either impossible (you'll run out of threads) or too much adjustment. The handle screws in and out of the door, so washers won't help with spacing, as it's determined entirely by the screw threads.

Mine fit well on the stove when it was new, but after years of burning and gasket replacement during a rebuild, the latch only caught by a tiny corner, too. The only way I was able to "fix" it was to file the catch so it's thinner and more of it fit into the slot. If you go that way, be sure not to make it so thin that it bends when you tighten the door.

I still have not had a chance to look at mine. I am having a hard time picturing it....can you take a pic of the latch. I know they have changed them on the 2550.

Status
Not open for further replies.