Encore 2550 primary thermostat cable

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Topd

Nov 13, 2013
NH
Well, I thought I was doing good and had adjusted my primary air intake cable...but then I heard the air intake door snap shut. Cable either broken or cam off of something.

Can someone share the procedure to find out which...and to replace repair depending on whether it broke or slipped off of something!

Can't do much now, and am using a shim to hold air intake door open appropriately to still use the stove, but want to fix soon.

Thanks again!!!

https://www.hearth.com/talk/attachments/service00282140-pdf.107034

This is the service manual for the 2140. It has the procedure for replacing the cable, which is similar in the 2550. Main difference in our stove is to get to the thermostat you need to:

• Remove the andirons
  • Remove the wedges and lower fire back
  • Lift the fire back out of the stove
  • Remove the two 1/4 bolts holding the right inner side panel in place
  • Pry out the right inner side panel.

You will now see the thermostat and cable and can follow the procedure in the manual above to fish a new one. Get the cable at Woodmans or Black Swan if you don't have a local dealer.

Last edited:
Actually the 2140 is quite different, and fortunately too, as the 2550 is far more accessable! The most likely culprit is in fact thethermostatic draft control. There is a wire like piece riveted to the bimetal coil, and the rivets like to fail. Replacing the thermo. isn't too hard, it lives behind the right core side. If the cable IS broken, you can thread a new one through. Remove the "flapper" assembly from the back of the stove, and you'll see how it goes.

In the 2140 broken cables were a potential disaster. Luckily, this is one "improvement" that VC made that truly IS an improvement.

Actually the 2140 is quite different, and fortunately too, as the 2550 is far more accessable! The most likely culprit is in fact thethermostatic draft control. There is a wire like piece riveted to the bimetal coil, and the rivets like to fail. Replacing the thermo. isn't too hard, it lives behind the right core side. If the cable IS broken, you can thread a new one through. Remove the "flapper" assembly from the back of the stove, and you'll see how it goes.

In the 2140 broken cables were a potential disaster. Luckily, this is one "improvement" that VC made that truly IS an improvement.

First of all, thanks so much for the replies! I was looking at the 2140 manual and much is similar but glad this isn't. If I recall correctly, the lower fireback has to come off, and then the right inner? Seems like I should have done it at the rebuild but should be a 30 minute job <).

Thanks again!!!!

Actually the 2140 is quite different, and fortunately too, as the 2550 is far more accessable!

The only difference I can see from the exploded views is that in the 2550 they don't have the acess cup over the thermostat coil that removes so you have to unbolt the entire inner right panel to acess it. removeing the interior panels is easier in the 2550 and makes the thermostat replacement simpler.

The actual thermostat mechanism, cable and flapper door mechanism is identical and orders vai the same part numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.