Encore 2550 Refractory Assembly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmcramer

Feb 19, 2007
www.cramersoftware.com
The refractory assembly on my Encore 2550 got nicked up pretty good as I attempted to place the new upper fireback back in the stove...new ones are $275. Hard to believe.

How perfect does the Refractory have to be? Five or six chips the size of a half-dollar came out of the front edge...above where the combustor sits....so it is no longer a perfectly squared edged rectangular box...but it is a rectangular box...

Is there an adhesive that will safely stick the thing back together?

you could try STOVO mortar by rutland.. Its pretty good stuff, made for such repairs...

Here's the refractory chamber.

Attachments

• refract3.jpg
    refract3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 995
cmcramer said:
Here's the refractory chamber.

Ouch, that hurts. $275 is an outrageous price, we can thank VC's previous owners (CFM ) for raising prices on VC parts through the roof before they went bankrupt. Inexplicably, the new VC owners (MHSC) have kept the parts prices at these inflated levels. I hold out hope that MHSC will adjust the part prices back down to where they belong, if not they will forever lose me as a customer.

yeah, that looks beyond repair....it sucks I am sure! btw how do you remove this refactory box?

I don't know if its beyond repair... the access panel certainly is, you can get a replacement for just that piece for $70 at black swan. then maybe try patching the top lip of the box with that rutland mortar recommended earlier? The rest looks salvageable I think.

The refractory the your looking for is available at Blackswanhome.com for $ 190.00, I'm refering you back to that site being that a previous post mentioned them. You could go to most any of your VC dealers and the price would be close to that being that MHSC has re - worked the parts pricing for VC.[size=3][/size]

jharkin said:
I don't know if its beyond repair... the access panel certainly is, .

It actually looks to me like the access panel will still do its job - the leading edge is just a little chipped up, but the piece is largely intact. What worries me is the hot gasses (1500 degrees?) coming up off the cat....and striking the hole in the Refractory box....
even if I patch it in somehow.....that's a big hole for just some patching cement.....

The price for a new Refractory box alone - no access panel - I've found for $190. Still ridiculous. And.....I there's no guarantee I won't damage the NEW one trying to get the dang uper fireback back in the stove. I think I should lay the stove on its back on some cribbing....and work the fireback in that way....maybe

;-) might I suggest the best fix? Go find a Local PE dealer..

I need to replace my refractory assembly but when I tried to remove the upper fire back the bolt broke off. It's getting really cold... could I neatly cut the refractory assembly to put it in as a two piece unit or do I need to dig that bolt out?

Status
Not open for further replies.