encore 2n1. stove thermometer question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EJ39

Dec 19, 2011
ma
I'm new to the site and have a question for you wood burning pro's. I have an encore 2n1 which I have been burning in cat mode. My question is, where should I put the thermometer on the stove top? I have heard on the griddle, but have also heard directly behind the griddle on the stove top. The reason I ask is there is a noticeable temp difference between the two spots. Also what have you guys noticed the best temp to run this stove at for good heat, but not damage the stove. Thanks for any feedback.

On the last one I installed, it said to have it on the middle of the top loading door.

I have been putting it there, and running it for the most part between 450 and 600. But after 1 month have noticed a lot of creosote. Sometimes it cools down to 300 before I can reload it, not sure if that could cause all that creosote. The wood I am buring has been split about 15 months.

does the glass stay clean? cat in or out, and are you removing the access refractory to brush out the ash of the rear chamber /cat(very eay access with the 2n1, and it has a nice hard 2ndry refractory you dont have to worry about impacting a bit).?

summit said:
does the glass stay clean? cat in or out, and are you removing the access refractory to brush out the ash of the rear chamber /cat(very eay access with the 2n1, and it has a nice hard 2ndry refractory you dont have to worry about impacting a bit).?
A bit maybe, but I still wouldn't consider the cover anywhere near durable. I would be very affraid of hitting it with a piece.

I'm burning with the cat in. The glass is dirty also. Maybe I'm not burning hot enough

the metal around the cat will warp and wrinkle a bit, thats okay... the indivudual cells should be clean and square. Use a soft brush to dust the crap off it.
Our display Encore at the shop tends to burn pretty hot and clean, glass stays clear. I probably pop the cover off and dust out around the refractory / brush off the CAT once every couple weeks. A plugged up CAT can cause some issues for you, and keep your glass from burning clean. Open up that air control a bit, too....

Status
Not open for further replies.