Encore CAT 2550 - When the CAT lights off does the firebox Temp go down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rayza said:
I have a Vermont Castings Encore CAT 2550.

Being relatively new to the wood stove scene I was just wondering when the CAT lights off does the 'griddle' temp go down, yet the overall heat output remain the same from the secondary burn.

Thanks

Ray

Hi Ray,
My CDW large convection came with a temp probe in the cooktop which resides above the cat and that probe gets upwards of 1700 degrees when it's cranking so it does get very hot when the cat lights off...

Ray

Hello Ray
Yes the griddle temp. on our 2550 Cat does go down for awhile right after closing the damper.
But then it begins to climb (how much and how high depends on wood type, dryness, load and draft).
Griddle temp. seems to rise as the logs get hot enough to out-gas and it peaks when the logs
all burn at once. For a year and a half, we've tried to figure out how to get the logs burning in
sequence instead of all at once so to get a longer burn. No luck with that.

Gark said:
Hello Ray
Yes the griddle temp. on our 2550 Cat does go down for awhile right after closing the damper.
But then it begins to climb (how much and how high depends on wood type, dryness, load and draft).
Griddle temp. seems to rise as the logs get hot enough to out-gas and it peaks when the logs
all burn at once. For a year and a half, we've tried to figure out how to get the logs burning in
sequence instead of all at once so to get a longer burn. No luck with that.

Perhaps burning larger pieces of firewood would help extend your burntimes and if possible get some dense dry high btu firewood such as oak..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.