Encore Cat - one year later and it doesn't look good...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Side note - our house makes it extremely difficult to see how much smoke is coming out the chimney, as you can’t see the chimney from inside, or even a fair bit of the outside. Any suggestions? I’ve thought about trying to get a mirror on one of the trees so that I could look at it through a window - has anyone tried this and did it work?

Sounds creepy. The neighborhood will know you as the guy that likes to look at his house while still in his house.

Maybe you could put a step ladder up by one of the trees and peak at it the chimney every once in a while? Maybe put a bird feeder in the tree so it looks like you are just filling the feeder?

Matt

Gooserider said:
Adding to the shopping list or maybe not...

Woodstock - Fireview (Classic also - same stove w/o a window) - Soapstone, but very much on the small side. I'd have to recut all my wood to use it, and I have doubts about it's ability to do better than the Encore, even though it claims better numbers for BTUs (but less on area heated...) Side loading is nice, but door is on right, not left... Besides, while the Fireview cat is far more accessible than the Encore's, and doesn't have a "falls apart if you look at it funny" refractory package, I'm not all that sure I still want to mess with a cat if I can avoid it....
Area Heated: 900-1,600 sq. ft.
Wood Length: 16” Burn Time: 10-12 hrs.
Wood Loading: Side
Draft Control: Manual
Max Heat Output: 55,000 BTUs /hr.
Heat Output (EPA Test Method): 10,800 - 42,100 BTU's/hr

(I do wish Woodstock would come out with a few larger models - something Heritage or Mansfield sized...)

Gooserider

Woodstock numbers are grossly conservative IMHO. If you actually measure fireboxes the Fireview comes right in between the Heritage and Mansfield. Hearthstone includes everything above the baffle in their fire box measurements, Woodstock doesn't. I wanted a left side door too, but got use to it on the right. I don't blame you if you've had it with cats, but I'm convinced they are more efficient when taken care of and these are very simple. They also have that great 6 month guarantee.

EatenByLimestone said:
Side note - our house makes it extremely difficult to see how much smoke is coming out the chimney, as you can’t see the chimney from inside, or even a fair bit of the outside. Any suggestions? I’ve thought about trying to get a mirror on one of the trees so that I could look at it through a window - has anyone tried this and did it work?

Sounds creepy. The neighborhood will know you as the guy that likes to look at his house while still in his house.

Maybe you could put a step ladder up by one of the trees and peak at it the chimney every once in a while? Maybe put a bird feeder in the tree so it looks like you are just filling the feeder?

Matt

Wireless camera to a monitor. We had someone on the forum (can't remember who), that did just that. Waaay too cool. He had it wired to his TV, so he could flip to the "smoke stack" channel. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.