Encore horizontal flue distance when installing into fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cord

Jun 5, 2006
I'm working on an install of a Vermont Castings Defiant Encore using the 6" flue size. This unit was not purchased from a local dealer, so they are of no help. VC doesn't provide any contact information, instead pointing you to their local dealer. The stove will be installed in front of a fireplace. The flue outlet will be in the rear with a horizontal run of about 26" to a clean out T. The installation would be per figure 8 in the installation manual (attached). I have enough room to slope the pipe up at 1:12 pitch.

The manual calls out for a minimum of 1/2:12 pitch, but that slope is for a horizontal wall penetration above a mantle. For a over mantle install, the manual recommends a max of 3' horizontal run, but again that's for a different install. This install is below the mantle so there is no vertical pipe run to help create a draft. For this reason, I feel these dimensions would not apply to my installation.

When installing into a fireplace, the manual does provide a max horizontal distance for the flue pipe. I'm concerned about the stove not drawing correctly and don't want to create a situation when I'm trying to correct a poor draft. I'm turning to the forum with the hope that somebody can help me determine if this horizontal run distance will be acceptable.

Attachments

• Install.pdf
    258.2 KB · Views: 290
There is not a whole lot you can do. Just make sure that stove pipe is at an upwards angle. Many wood stoves have a 24" run and they are fine. I wouldn't worry about it. 1/12 pitch is plenty.

I worry because I installed a Encore before with similar dimensions and it didn't heat well. But, for that install I used the optional 8" pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.