1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Encore lower fireback gasket?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by whoppr, Aug 5, 2013.

1. whoppr

whoppr New Member

Hi...

I have a Vermont Castings Encore 2550. I am in the process of replacing the catalytic and noticed that the gasket for the lower fireback is in rough shape. I know this gasket is 5/16" fiberglass gasket. Does anyone know any other details I may need to replace this? density? brands that may be good? round?

Thanks in advance

Werner

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    I cant give you any advice on brands but I just bought some generic grey 5/16 rope gasket at the local stove shop to do mine a couple years ago. They have the different sizes on reels and just cut to length, no brand labels. It worked fine.
  3. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    whoppr,
    It is best to use a low/medium density 5/16" rope gasket (Rutland has decent quality), it will take approx. 4'. Make sure you clean out the channel that the fireback sits in, this will make it easier to put the parts back together especially the throat hood.:cool:
  4. whoppr

whoppr New Member

Thanks to you both. To clean out channels, although not recommended I usually use a dremel with a wire brush or sanding tip. Seems to work well and hopefully I will have the same luck as there appears to be quite a bit of cement.

Thank you again
  5. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA

I do the same, quick and easy. Would take all day with a chisel.
    Defiant likes this.