Encore lower fireback gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whoppr

Jan 25, 2013
Hi...

I have a Vermont Castings Encore 2550. I am in the process of replacing the catalytic and noticed that the gasket for the lower fireback is in rough shape. I know this gasket is 5/16" fiberglass gasket. Does anyone know any other details I may need to replace this? density? brands that may be good? round?

Thanks in advance

Werner

I cant give you any advice on brands but I just bought some generic grey 5/16 rope gasket at the local stove shop to do mine a couple years ago. They have the different sizes on reels and just cut to length, no brand labels. It worked fine.

whoppr,
It is best to use a low/medium density 5/16" rope gasket (Rutland has decent quality), it will take approx. 4'. Make sure you clean out the channel that the fireback sits in, this will make it easier to put the parts back together especially the throat hood.:cool:

Thanks to you both. To clean out channels, although not recommended I usually use a dremel with a wire brush or sanding tip. Seems to work well and hopefully I will have the same luck as there appears to be quite a bit of cement.

Thank you again

Status
Not open for further replies.